Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mohammad Mustaqeem <3m...@gmail.com> on 2013/05/04 17:27:58 UTC

Block placement Policy

I have read somewhere that a user can specified his own ReplicaPlacementPolicy.
How can I specify my own ReplicaPlacementPolicy?
I you have any sample ReplicaPlacementPolicy, then please share it..

--
*With regards ---*
*Mohammad Mustaqeem*,

Re: Block placement Policy

Posted by Rajat Sharma <fs...@gmail.com>.
Have a look at org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.blockmanagement.BlockPlacementPolicyDefault.
This is default placement policy, you should be able to extend this to
implement your own policy and set config parameter
"dfs.block.replicator.classname" to point to your class

Re: Block placement Policy

Posted by Rajat Sharma <fs...@gmail.com>.

Re: Block placement Policy

Posted by Mohammad Mustaqeem <3m...@gmail.com>.
Do you know, how to use it?
Sorry, I am very new :(

--
*With regards ---*
*Mohammad Mustaqeem*,

Re: Block placement Policy

Posted by Mohammad Mustaqeem <3m...@gmail.com>.
Do you know, how to use it?
Sorry, I am very new :(

--
*With regards ---*
*Mohammad Mustaqeem*,

RE: Block placement Policy

Posted by Ivan Mitic <iv...@microsoft.com>.
Hi Mohammad,

You will have to implement BlockPlacementPolicy interface (abstract class). There are two existing implementations in Hadoop trunk, BlockPlacementPolicyDefault and BlockPlacementPolicyWithNodeGroup.

To configure Hadoop to use your policy, define dfs.block.replicator.classname in hdfs-site.xml. For example:

  <property>
    <name>dfs.block.replicator.classname</name>
    <value>org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.server.namenode.AzureBlockPlacementPolicy</value>
  </property>

Usually, you will also want to have your own script that computes the node topology/location (look for net.topology.script.file.name in trunk, or topology.script.file.name in branch-1).

Hope this helps,
Ivan

RE: Block placement Policy

RE: Block placement Policy