Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by "John W. Smith" <kc...@centurytel.net> on 2014/11/14 13:53:21 UTC

Document Recovery Issue

I've checked in before with screen reader accessibility questions, and
the problem that has popped up is aggravated by that. I have a little
usable vision, which enables me to do only limited tasks with Open Office.

Last night I opened a document in Writer. Since I couldn't read it with
my screen reader, I attempted to copy the text into Notepad. For some
reason, the text didn't copy. I can't remember what happened when I
closed the Writer document, but now when I open any Open Office
application, I get a message about document recovery. I've deleted the
document I was trying to copy from. It's gone from Recycle bin
deliberately as well. My screen resolution isn't set for optimal use
with Open Office, so I can't see buttons at the bottom of the screen
that shows the message about document recovery. However, I've figured
out that by striking S, then N, I can open up the document or spread
sheet I'm actually trying to work with.

That led to other problems this morning. I tried to print out a spread
sheet so I could read it with magnification apart from the computer, but
I couldn't get it to print at all. I couldn't tab to whatever control I
needed to make it work.

I don't know how much of this is related to my lack of ability to access
the programs with my screen reader, but is it necessary to uninstall and
reinstall to resolve any of this?

John

Re: Document Recovery Issue

Posted by mt <mt...@lockedbags.org>.
John, have you tried changing magnification through the Zoom
slider at the bottom right corner of the OpenOffice screen? That
should adjust the font size on your screen, till it's big enough
for you to see.

Sorry I can't help with your other issue. I assume you have
already made certain you are using Apache OpenOffice, and not
another application with a similar name?

marina
[message also sent to kc0hsb@centurytel.net (John W. Smith)]

Re: Document Recovery Issue

Posted by "John W. Smith" <kc...@centurytel.net>.
Marina, Yes, I'm using Apache Open Office 4.1.1. Thanks for the
magnification tip. I'll see what I can do to make that work when I get
the document recovery issue resolved. When I open the Open Office icon,
I have to go through the steps (S & N) as described before. Then it
opens Writer, not the panel that lets me choose the program I want.

By the way, I got 4 copies of your message.

John

Re: Document Recovery Issue

Posted by mt <mt...@lockedbags.org>.