Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Steven Dolg <st...@indoqa.com> on 2009/01/02 13:30:45 UTC

[C3] Extract SAX from the Pipeline module

Hello,

as indicated some time ago, I would like to remove all the SAX related
pipeline components from the Pipeline module and put them into their own
module.

Now I have done this locally just to see how easy or difficult this
would be.
I found that some modules (e.g. cocoon-servlet) actually rely on those
SAX components.
This means the dependencies amongst the modules will change a little bit
and the SAX module will actually be a dependency for some other
higher-level modules. (But I find nothing wrong with that).
But this also means the patch will be rather huge and affect a lot of
the existing modules.

I intend to finish this and provide a patch in the next 1-2 weeks.
If someone is currently working on some components or modules this might
lead to a merge-mess.
So let me know if this might be a problem for you.

As second step I'd like to rename some of those components to clearly
indicate that they're handling XML using SAX - as opposed to our new
components using StAX.
But I guess that can (and should) wait until the new module is there.

Any opinions or objections on that?
Steven

Re: [C3] Extract SAX from the Pipeline module

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Reinhard Pötz pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Reinhard Pötz pisze:
>>> Steven Dolg wrote:
>
> <snip/>

>> I have some work related to both sitemap and pipeline modules but I hope my tools (Git) will help me
>> with merging fun.
>>
>> Could you possibly split your work into a few smaller patches focused on one simple step of
>> refactoring? That would make my job easier I guess.
>>
>> Thanks for your work.
>
> I guess that the only possible split is doing the renaming of classes in
> one step and the creation of the SAX module in another. Apart from this
> I don't think it makes much sense to create smaller patches.

Yep, that's fine with me.

Actually, I only care that one patch contains changes related to one isolated action (of course it's
hard to define "isolated action" but I guess you can get my point). I don't care if patch is big or
small because I deal with patch sets and not with change sets, usually.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: [C3] Extract SAX from the Pipeline module

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Reinhard Pötz pisze:
>> Steven Dolg wrote:

<snip/>

>>> I intend to finish this and provide a patch in the next 1-2 weeks.
>>> If someone is currently working on some components or modules this might
>>> lead to a merge-mess.
>>> So let me know if this might be a problem for you.
>
> I have some work related to both sitemap and pipeline modules but I hope my tools (Git) will help me
> with merging fun.
>
> Could you possibly split your work into a few smaller patches focused on one simple step of
> refactoring? That would make my job easier I guess.
>
> Thanks for your work.

I guess that the only possible split is doing the renaming of classes in
one step and the creation of the SAX module in another. Apart from this
I don't think it makes much sense to create smaller patches.

</snip>

Re: [C3] Extract SAX from the Pipeline module

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Reinhard Pötz pisze:
> Steven Dolg wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> as indicated some time ago, I would like to remove all the SAX related
>> pipeline components from the Pipeline module and put them into their own
>> module.
>>
>> Now I have done this locally just to see how easy or difficult this
>> would be.
>> I found that some modules (e.g. cocoon-servlet) actually rely on those
>> SAX components.
>> This means the dependencies amongst the modules will change a little bit
>> and the SAX module will actually be a dependency for some other
>> higher-level modules. (But I find nothing wrong with that).
>> But this also means the patch will be rather huge and affect a lot of
>> the existing modules.
>>
>> I intend to finish this and provide a patch in the next 1-2 weeks.
>> If someone is currently working on some components or modules this might
>> lead to a merge-mess.
>> So let me know if this might be a problem for you.

I have some work related to both sitemap and pipeline modules but I hope my tools (Git) will help me
with merging fun.

Could you possibly split your work into a few smaller patches focused on one simple step of
refactoring? That would make my job easier I guess.

Thanks for your work.

>> As second step I'd like to rename some of those components to clearly
>> indicate that they're handling XML using SAX - as opposed to our new
>> components using StAX.
>> But I guess that can (and should) wait until the new module is there.
>>

>> Any opinions or objections on that?
>
> +1
>
> What module and packages names do we want to use? I see two different
>
>  a) cocoon-sax (org.apache.cocoon.sax)
>  b) cocoon-pipeline-sax (org.apache.cocoon.pipeline.sax)
>
> I prefer b) because the module is a specific module for pipelines.

+1

--
Best regards,
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: [C3] Extract SAX from the Pipeline module

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Pieber <an...@gmx.at>.
On Wednesday 04 February 2009 02:24:12 Reinhard Pötz wrote:
> I've just committed the renaming refactorings. Please have a look if I
> did everything correctly.

I like it and it seams to be correct.

I'm not sure but shouldn't we also rename the genertors, transformers and
serializers according to this schema (at least at the core packages (cocoon-
sax, cocoon-stax,...)). E.g. to use the SAX and the StAX IncludeTransformer in
one class could be a pain, since they have exactly the same name...

WDYT?

Andreas

Re: [C3] Extract SAX from the Pipeline module

Posted by Reinhard Pötz <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steven Dolg <st...@indoqa.com>.

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Steven Dolg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> as indicated some time ago, I would like to remove all the SAX related
> pipeline components from the Pipeline module and put them into their own
> module.
>
> Now I have done this locally just to see how easy or difficult this
> would be.
> I found that some modules (e.g. cocoon-servlet) actually rely on those
> SAX components.
> This means the dependencies amongst the modules will change a little bit
> and the SAX module will actually be a dependency for some other
> higher-level modules. (But I find nothing wrong with that).
> But this also means the patch will be rather huge and affect a lot of
> the existing modules.
>
> I intend to finish this and provide a patch in the next 1-2 weeks.
> If someone is currently working on some components or modules this might
> lead to a merge-mess.
> So let me know if this might be a problem for you.
>

> As second step I'd like to rename some of those components to clearly
> indicate that they're handling XML using SAX - as opposed to our new
> components using StAX.
> But I guess that can (and should) wait until the new module is there.
>

> Any opinions or objections on that?
Sounds great!

The only comment I have atm is about the naming of the sax classes,
I think for consistency we should use upper case characters (SAX) as
this is the way the classes are named in the jdk (same with DOM).

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org