Posted to announce@apache.org by Gary Gregory <gg...@apache.org> on 2014/01/21 00:09:49 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.3.2 Released

The Apache HttpComponents project is pleased to announce 4.3.2 GA release
of HttpComponents HttpClient.

[Sorry for the resend, I had the wrong component in the email subject]

HttpClient 4.3.2 (GA) is a maintenance release that delivers a number of
improvements as well as bug fixes for issues reported since 4.3.1 release.
SNI support for Oracle JRE 1.7+ is being among the most notable
improvements.

Users of HttpClient 4.3 are encouraged to upgrade.

Download: http://hc.apache.org/downloads.cgi
Release notes:
https://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES-4.3.x.txt
HttpComponents site: http://hc.apache.org

About HttpComponents HttpClient

The Hyper-Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is perhaps the most significant
protocol used on the Internet today. Web services, network-enabled
appliances and the growth of network computing continue to expand the role
of the HTTP protocol beyond user-driven web browsers, while increasing the
number of applications that require HTTP support.

Although the java.net package provides basic functionality for accessing
resources via HTTP, it doesn't provide the full flexibility or
functionality needed by many applications. HttpClient seeks to fill this
void by providing an efficient, up-to-date, and feature-rich package
implementing the client side of the most recent HTTP standards and
recommendations.

Designed for extension while providing robust support for the base HTTP
protocol, HttpClient may be of interest to anyone building HTTP-aware
client applications such as web browsers, web service clients, or systems
that leverage or extend the HTTP protocol for distributed communication.

Gary Gregory on behalf of the HttpComponents team.

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

HC 4.2 vs 4.3 performance wise; Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] HttpComponents HttpClient 4.3.2 Released

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 09:39 -0800, Tony Anecito wrote:
> Thanks Gary there was nothing about performance improvements at least what I noticed. Just wanted to be sure.
>
> -Tony

HttpClient 4.3 can be expected to be ~5% faster than 4.2 due to reduced
synchronization in several hot spots, but any performance improvement
below 10% is simply not news worthy and is largely irrelevant.

Oleg

In the future, please do not respond to release announcements directly
and _especially_ to multiple lists at the same time. This will annoy
fewer people.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM, Tony Anecito <ad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am using 4.2.5. Have there been any performance improvements since then?

Everything is carefully documented in the release notes:
https://www.apache.org/dist/httpcomponents/httpclient/RELEASE_NOTES-4.3.x.txt

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.