Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by peter pilsl <pi...@goldfisch.at> on 2004/12/07 23:41:04 UTC

[users@httpd] fail to serve static unicode-file proper

I deal a lot with unicode/utf8. Usually I generate the content
dynamically and just print out a Content-Type-line including a
charset-command as Header and everything is fine.

Now I want to present a static utf-8 page and I fail.

My first attempt was to add an appropriate meta-tag to the source:

<head>
</head>

When this did not work I inspected my config and found:

AddLanguage de .de
AddCharset UTF-8       .utf8

So I renamed my text.html into text.de.utf8 and .. again my browser
(Firefox 1.0) showed the page using the iso-8859-1-charset.

So finally I tried the AddDefaultChard utf8 in the .htaccess for the
folder where my text was in, only to get an error and the error-log
stated that
/data/apache/myfolder/.htaccess: AddDefaultCharset not allowed here

whoops? Next step is to write a small cgi that reads the text and print
an appropriate header. But I'm sure there is a way to present static
unicode-text.

thnx,
peter

--
mag. peter pilsl
goldfisch.at

Re: [users@httpd] fail to serve static unicode-file proper

Posted by Ralf Glauberman <rg...@michaeli-gymnasium.de>.
i just found it, try not to add a charset-header at all by setting
AddDefaultCharset Off
then the meta will be interpreted