Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2004/07/27 19:27:00 UTC

JIRA migration

Hello,

Are we going to migrate to JIRA ?

A number of Apache projects are using JIRA (for instance gump and xerces).

I wonder whether we should start a new vote on this issue, or is there a
compelling reason to stay with Bugzilla ?

I did not see any conclusions concerning the vote in January, where I saw
3+1s or 2+1s and a -1 (not sure how to interprete the last email of Steve
about it [5].

Antoine

Footnotes :

[1]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ant.devel/26542/match=jira+vote
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ant.devel/26613/match=jira
[3]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ant.devel/26545/match=jira+vote
[4]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ant.devel/26547/match=jira+vote
[5]
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.jakarta.ant.devel/26854/match=jira+vote

Re: JIRA migration

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are we going to migrate to JIRA ?
>
> A number of Apache projects are using JIRA (for instance gump and xerces).
>
> I wonder whether we should start a new vote on this issue, or is there a
> compelling reason to stay with Bugzilla ?
>
> I did not see any conclusions concerning the vote in January, where I saw
> 3+1s or 2+1s and a -1 (not sure how to interprete the last email of Steve
> about it [5].
>
> Antoine

I am +1.

We are using jira at work as well, very nippy when running on a local
box, and it has an automatic binding to CVS provided you are (a)
rigorous about bug IDs in checkins and (b) have bug strings which dont
crop up in unrelated messages. The latter is harder than you think if it
find SF*3 for a bug SF-3, and some acronym like "sf" gets used a lot.

Re: JIRA migration

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> wrote:

> So for Ant, I'd suggest a bugtracker's _email_ interface is much
> more important than its web interface.

For Ant developers, yes.  For the people reporting bugs without being
subscribed to the dev list, the email interface is probably less
important.

> OTOH if JIRA can improve 40% of list traffic in some small way, that
> might be considered 'compelling'.

I've noticed some of the nice features you mention, but I also noticed

> (admittedly the current JIRA format is horrible).

8-)

I always have a hard time to find which change the mail is actually
about.

> So it might be worth waiting for the next JIRA release before
> deciding.

Sounds good.

Stefan

Re: JIRA migration

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 09:54:26AM +0200, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
> >
> >>I wonder whether we should start a new vote on this issue, or is
> >>there a compelling reason to stay with Bugzilla ?
> >>
> >Is there a compelling reason to move?
> >
> There is no compelling reason to move. JIRA just looks nicer.

>From a scan of my ant-dev mailbox, 40% of list traffic is Bugzilla
emails.  So for Ant, I'd suggest a bugtracker's _email_ interface is much
more important than its web interface.  People aren't forced to deal with
Bugzilla's UI very often, so who cares if it's slightly ugly?

OTOH if JIRA can improve 40% of list traffic in some small way, that
might be considered 'compelling'.

In the current JIRA release:

 - Notification emails are threaded, so all mails about a bug can be
   easily grouped.
 - Replying to a JIRA email automatically adds a comment (once set up).

And in the next JIRA release:

 - From: address includes the creator/commenter's name, of the form "Joe
   Bloggs (JIRA)" <ji...@apache.org>
 - Clean uncluttered email format (admittedly the current JIRA format is
   horrible).

So it might be worth waiting for the next JIRA release before deciding.

> >I still don't care too much as long as we retain history and
> >bugreports.
>
> The most important point.

It would all be preserved.  Imported bugs can be searched for by old
Bugzilla ID, and if someone is handy with mod_rewrite, Bugzilla URLs
could be redirected to JIRA URLs.

--Jeff

Re: JIRA migration

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
>

>>I wonder whether we should start a new vote on this issue, or is
>>there a compelling reason to stay with Bugzilla ?
>>

>Is there a compelling reason to move?

There is no compelling reason to move. JIRA just looks nicer.

>I still don't care too much as long as we retain history and
>bugreports.

The most important point.

>  This is more a +0 than a +1 since I won't have the time
>to help with the migration itself.

Let's ask infrastructure whether the migration is a lot of work for the
projects who
migrate.

>Stefan

Antoine

Re: JIRA migration

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:
>

>>I wonder whether we should start a new vote on this issue, or is
>>there a compelling reason to stay with Bugzilla ?
>

> Is there a compelling reason to move?

The best reason to move would be the relative lack of support for
BugZilla, IMHO.

Conor

Re: JIRA migration

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> I wonder whether we should start a new vote on this issue, or is
> there a compelling reason to stay with Bugzilla ?

Is there a compelling reason to move?

I still don't care too much as long as we retain history and
bugreports.  This is more a +0 than a +1 since I won't have the time