Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/01/10 15:59:09 UTC

Re: A tale of two builds (or: Why I don't like theSNAPSHOT sematics)

On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 16:28, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:44, Brian Ewins wrote:
> > I don't think indirect dependencies are quite so straightforward. The
> > obvious example is JAXP; its not just versions of a dependency, but
> > alternatives to that dependency. [xerces-1.4.4], or [xercesImpl with
> > xml-apis], or [none required on JDK 1.4]. It is a PITA documenting all
> > the dependencies, but being explicit helps avoid confusion about where a
> > jar is coming from, and allows you to omit a dependency entirely.
>
> I would highly recomend that you use the JDK "Optional Package" or "Extension"
> mechanisms for this. Basically for each jar you define a set of extensions
> that the jar provides and a set of extensions that the jar needs.
>
> Each extensions has a specification and an implementation and you can declare
> dependencies on either the implementation or the specification. SO you could
> declare a dependency on "jaxp" or "xerces2 jaxp implementation".
>
> Anyways for a bit more info scroll down to dependencies on
> http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/myrmidon/librarys.html
>
> or lookup
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html.

Thanks will take a peek?

Is there anything we can lift from myrmidom? I intend at some point in
the future for Maven to run inside Plexus so I'm sure there's a lot of
overlap and probably things you've already done that I hope you wouldn't
mind if I just lifted :-)

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: A tale of two builds (or: Why I don't like the SNAPSHOT sematics)

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
On Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:59, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > Anyways for a bit more info scroll down to dependencies on
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/myrmidon/librarys.html
> >
> > or lookup
> >
> > http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/guide/extensions/versioning.html.
>
> Thanks will take a peek?

yea!

> Is there anything we can lift from myrmidom? I intend at some point in
> the future for Maven to run inside Plexus so I'm sure there's a lot of
> overlap and probably things you've already done that I hope you wouldn't
> mind if I just lifted :-)

Most of it is used in a few Avalon contains and is already extracted. You can
grab it from

jakarta-avalon-excalibur/extension

though I would probably recomend you only use the classes in
o.a.excalibur.extension.*

That just represents the Extension (and Specification) objects and reads them
from manifests.

o.a.excalibur.packagemanager.* Is meant to define a mechanism to traverse
extensionmanager dependencies in a repository however it is not really
designed with Mavens repository in mind and wont scale well enough (only used
in Avalon containers which have <80 extension jars). So don't use that unless
you rewrite it ... and if you rewrite it I would to see it decoupled enough
that I could use it ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
"Wise men don't need advice. Fools don't take it."
                        -Benjamin Franklin