Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> on 2012/11/01 18:45:51 UTC

Re: Bad site certificate

On 25/10/2012 NoOp wrote:
> On 10/25/2012 10:50 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> The recommended way to access the OpenOffice site in HTTPS for those who
>> prefer it over HTTP is to use:
>> https://ooo-site.apache.org
> Like the above, the URL should be configured to automatically redirect
> to https://ooo-site.apache.org when an https request is received?

Apparently, this won't work since Infra says "Redirect won't work, as
the SSL handshake precedes the first opportunity to send a redirect".

But you are welcome to weigh in directly on
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5450 :
registration is open to everyone.

And if in the end the most sensible solution is that we acquire a
certificate for *.openoffice.org , this is surely something the PMC and
Infra can look into. But it would be good to see the discussion in the
issue page converge.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Bad site certificate

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 02/11/2012 NoOp wrote:
> On 11/01/2012 10:45 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> But you are welcome to weigh in directly on
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-5450 :
> Thanks, but no thanks. I suppose I could provide a server trace&
> wireshark session file etc., but I doubt that it will do any good

It would probably help more than me just reposting your messages there.
I shared your analysis on the issue page, but I cannot continue the
technical discussion there as a middle-man. Anyway, let's see if there
is a way to get rid of this security warning.

Unfortunately, a solution might be to use HTTPS on
https://ooo-site.apache.org/ only, thus switching
https://www.openoffice.org off; this is largely suboptimal but I agree
with you that random users who do not want to look at the certificate
details will interpret a security warning as something worse than having
no security, i.e., HTTP only...

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Fwd: Bad site certificate

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 21/11/2012 Dave Fisher wrote:
> Does the project care to have an SSL certificate on
> www.openoffice.org? Is one needed for other public assets like
> wiki.openoffice.org?

I don't have a strong preference here, but it could be nice to have,
especially if we can later apply it to sites that require
authentication, like wiki.openoffice.org and forum.openoffice.org.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Fwd: Bad site certificate

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi Folks,

It is possible that we can get either a www.openoffice.org, a *.openoffice.org, or other specific <sub>.openoffice.org certificates.

There are older browsers where the apache.org certificate will take precedence for sites.

Does the project care to have an SSL certificate on www.openoffice.org? Is one needed for other public assets like wiki.openoffice.org?

Because <subproject>.openoffice.org is redirected to www.openoffice.org/<subproject>/ we will need a *.openoffice.org certificate. Do we care enough about the edge case of users in this subgroup to request a *.openoffice.org certificate that could be used on wiki.openoffice.org?

Thoughts?

Regards,
Dave

Begin forwarded message: