Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Dane Avilla <da...@bellatlantic.net> on 2000/05/11 22:46:52 UTC

Newbie install: SIGSEGV 11 probs on Debian 2.1

Greetings,

I have spend the last few days in futile attempts to install and
configure Tomcat 3.1.  Any help in getting this up and running would be
greatly appreciated because it sounds like it is just the thing I have
been looking for . ...

I've been trying to get Tomcat running on its own before I try to mate
it with Apache, so I did the following steps as root:

1) Downloaded Tomcat 3.1 from jakarta
2) Downloaded JDK 1.2.2 from blackdown.org
3) Installed tomcat to /usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat
4) Installed the JDK to /usr/local/misc/jdk1.2.2
5) Ran the following at the command line:

PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/misc/jdk1.2.2/bin
export TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat
export JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/misc/jdk1.2.2
/usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat/bin/startup.sh

I then type "3Jane:/home/davilla#
/usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat/bin/startup.sh" and
my efforts are rewarded w/ the following:

exporting classpath:=.:<path to all 5 tomcat .jar files and the tomcat
test directory>:/usr/local/misc/jdk1.2.2/lib/tools.jar
3Jane:/home/davilla# Executing: /usr/local/misc/jdk1.2.2/bin/java
-Dtomcat.home=/usr/local/misc/jakarta-tomcat
org.apache.tomcat.startup.Tomcat
Received signal: Quit
SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
Received signal: Quit
Received signal: Quit

and that's it...pressing <enter> returns me to the command prompt.  I am
very much at a loss as to how to proceed.  Any input would be greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,

Dane