Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> on 2006/06/01 05:02:59 UTC

Ant 1.7 release

Hi,

I am having a look at http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Ant17/Planning

We are still on the step "finding a release manager"

Do we have any candidates ?

Regards,

Antoine

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Posted by Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
On 5 Jun 2006, at 03:08, Steve Loughran wrote:

> Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I am having a look at http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Ant17/Planning
>> We are still on the step "finding a release manager"
>> Do we have any candidates ?
>
> I'm tempted to do it but can't as I am three chapters out from
> finishing the text of the book, then its all the other stuff with
> updating it.
>
> not only would being the release manager add extra workload, it'd
> lead to conflict of interest (i'd be against anything inconsistent
> with the book text, see)

I'm starting to feel confident enough to do it except for the
potential amount of extra work it may include (hope that nothing
happens at work to suddenly bog me down)

> I should be able to pull some work time to help with functioanl
> testing on odd platforms, as its interesting enough to qualify as a
> bit of research. I have a vmware image of win98 that we could put
> java1.2 on, and could set up on another vmware system (linux,
> probably), luntbuild to do continuous integration on the release
> branch. This would be an interesting exercise in the runup to release.

Having a vmware image setup for the testing would be a great
contribution - I doubt anyone would willingly work on win98 with
jdk1.2, so I think your vmware image is the only way that combination
will be tested :)

thanks
Kev

--
"All governments are in equal measure good and evil.  The best ideal
is anarchy." - Leo Tolstoy

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having a look at http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Ant17/Planning
>
> We are still on the step "finding a release manager"
>
> Do we have any candidates ?

I'm tempted to do it but can't as I am three chapters out from finishing
the text of the book, then its all the other stuff with updating it.

not only would being the release manager add extra workload, it'd lead
to conflict of interest (i'd be against anything inconsistent with the
book text, see)

I should be able to pull some work time to help with functioanl testing
on odd platforms, as its interesting enough to qualify as a bit of
research. I have a vmware image of win98 that we could put java1.2 on,
and could set up on another vmware system (linux, probably), luntbuild
to do continuous integration on the release branch. This would be an
interesting exercise in the runup to release.

-steve

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

I am going to make these jars available to Kevin.

Regards,

Antoine

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.
Kev Jackson wrote:
> I can build all the ant-* jars except ant-starteam and ant-weblogic
>
> I've contacted borland regarding getting access to starteam sdk
> without having to sign up to some ridiculous trial/download nonsense.
> [...]

Note that we could set up separate source roots containing phony classes
and interfaces matching what we need for these kinds of JARs. If you had
the real thing available it would use it; else it would compile against
the stubs.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org
       http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@apache.org>.
Kev Jackson wrote:

> On 1 Jun 2006, at 10:02, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a look at http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Ant17/Planning
>>
>> We are still on the step "finding a release manager"
>>
>> Do we have any candidates ?
>>

> I'd be happy to help, but before I offer myself as the 'release
> manager', what would I have to do and what are the requirements
> (system/src/libs etc) before I commit to something which I'd be unable
> to fulfill

Just to note that I am happy to be a fall back if you run into problems Kev.

Conor

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Posted by Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.

Hi all,

I'm not confirming yet to be release manager, but I'm preparing a
build environment with all libs etc - so I'm edging my hat into the ring

> you need the libs for all the optional tasks described in the section
> "installing ant" of the manual.

I have all the latest libs as described in this section, but I still
can't get a completely clean compile of the following (from within
eclipse)

org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.XalanLiason
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.junit.Xalan1Executor

packages:
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.ejb
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.starteam
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional.scm

> the way to check that you have all the libs is to make a full build
> and
> check that all the ant-* jar files have built and are not manifest
> only.
>
> the only lib which belongs to a product without an open source license
> is weblogic.

Which tasks require this weblogic.jar? I'm getting quite a clean
build here without it and I can't see where it's required.

> I can help you regarding this one if you like.
>
> Concerning the system, any operating system is good.

Well my main (currently only personal) machine is an ageing G4
powerbook - OSX 10.4 with Java5 (apple supplied, also have JDK1.3/1.4
available).  I have a nice OpenBSD3.9 box in the office here and
obviously I have access to WindowsXP sp2 machines too, so I can
potentially test a build on 3 envs, although realistically I'd only
build it under my main machine as the others are not setup as dev boxes.

> I built Ant 1.6 under Windows 2000 with a Sun JDK 1.4, all in one go.
>
> It looks like that Ant 1.7 has classes which require to be built under
> JDK 1.5.

Well I can certainly build a test release on my main machine if I can
get all the required jars - my plan is to create a release-test build/
dist today and upload to my apache space if all goes well.

Thanks for the info so far
Kev

--
"I call it the State where everyone, good or bad, is a poison-
drinker: the State where universal slow suicide is called - life" -

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Kev Jackson wrote:

> On 1 Jun 2006, at 10:02, Antoine Levy-Lambert wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am having a look at http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Ant17/Planning
>>
>> We are still on the step "finding a release manager"
>>
>> Do we have any candidates ?
>>

> I'd be happy to help, but before I offer myself as the 'release
> manager', what would I have to do and what are the requirements
> (system/src/libs etc) before I commit to something which I'd be unable
> to fulfill
>
> Thanks
> Kev
>
> --
> "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I
> fall out with the Abuse. The Thing! The Thing itself is the Abuse!" -
> Edmund Burke

Hello Kev,

you need the libs for all the optional tasks described in the section
"installing ant" of the manual.

the way to check that you have all the libs is to make a full build and
check that all the ant-* jar files have built and are not manifest only.

the only lib which belongs to a product without an open source license
is weblogic.

I can help you regarding this one if you like.

Concerning the system, any operating system is good.

I built Ant 1.6 under Windows 2000 with a Sun JDK 1.4, all in one go.

It looks like that Ant 1.7 has classes which require to be built under
JDK 1.5.

Not sure if we can build Ant 1.7 under JDK 1.5 also all in one go and
still produce jars which can run under 1.2.

Concerning the sources, you need the head revision from SVN obviously.

Regards,

Antoine

Re: Ant 1.7 release

Posted by Kev Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.