Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com> on 2005/10/17 16:56:01 UTC

DevX article comparing open-source databases

Hmm, anybody want to step up to the task of sending in corrections for
this "Open Source Database Feature Comparison Matrix":
http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST

The authors of the matrix (creators of DaffodilDB) compared Cloudscape
5.1 against DaffodilDB, MySQL 5.0, PostgreSQL 8.0, etc...

Rather than independently sending sets of (potentially conflicting)
emails to the devx editors, perhaps we could build a list of
corrections here; I'll kick it off by focusing on the obvious:

* Replace Cloudscape 5.1 with Apache Derby 10.1
* Add a checkmark for ODBC Driver
* Add a checkmark for user defined functions

Dan

Re: DevX article comparing open-source databases

Posted by "Michael J. Segel" <ms...@segel.com>.
On Monday 17 October 2005 09:56, Dan Scott wrote:
> Hmm, anybody want to step up to the task of sending in corrections for
> this "Open Source Database Feature Comparison Matrix":
> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
>
> The authors of the matrix (creators of DaffodilDB) compared Cloudscape
> 5.1 against DaffodilDB, MySQL 5.0, PostgreSQL 8.0, etc...
>
> Rather than independently sending sets of (potentially conflicting)
> emails to the devx editors, perhaps we could build a list of
> corrections here; I'll kick it off by focusing on the obvious:

Yeah this would be a good idea.

> * Replace Cloudscape 5.1 with Apache Derby 10.1
> * Add a checkmark for ODBC Driver
> * Add a checkmark for user defined functions
>
> Dan

First, I believe the correction should be that Cloudscape 5.1 is not an
opensource database. Then the rest about Derby.

Here's a small nit...

Both Daffidil and MySQL are not "open source" per se.
With respect to MySQL, they are dual licensed and there appears to be some
attempt at a product differentiation.
Also Daffidil compares their pay for product not their One$DB product which is
their opensource product.

Also you can add a checkmark on sequences. Derby does do this with the
"GENERATED ALWAYS AS IDENTITY" option ...

Domains? Hmmmm Unless I'm missing something, not much value there.
Actually it appears to be an attempt at extensible data types...

If you have UDRs / UDFs, then in theory, you can create extensible data types.

One has to ask, can you query on a domain?

--
Michael Segel
Principal

Re: DevX article comparing open-source databases

Posted by Mag Gam <ma...@gmail.com>.
About the author:
Uday Parmar is Head of Sales and Marketing at Daffodil Software, where
he is responsible for corporate sales, account management, strategic
planning, and business analysis. Uday holds a Bachelors degree in
Statistics from Mumbai University, an MBA in Marketing and HR, and a
Masters in Management from Durham Business School, England. .

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.
Thanks for catching this Dan and proposing a way to address it.  I'll
take a look when I get a chance and see what I can add.  Perhaps we can
manage this via a Wiki page or a JIRA item?

I think the checkmark for the ODBC driver should have a footnote saying
that this is a binary download from IBM, not part of Apache Derby.

David

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Dan Scott wrote:

> Hmm, anybody want to step up to the task of sending in corrections for
> this "Open Source Database Feature Comparison Matrix":
> http://www.devx.com/dbzone/Article/29480?trk=DXRSS_LATEST
>
> The authors of the matrix (creators of DaffodilDB) compared Cloudscape
> 5.1 against DaffodilDB, MySQL 5.0, PostgreSQL 8.0, etc...
>
> Rather than independently sending sets of (potentially conflicting)
> emails to the devx editors, perhaps we could build a list of
> corrections here; I'll kick it off by focusing on the obvious:
>
> * Replace Cloudscape 5.1 with Apache Derby 10.1
> * Add a checkmark for ODBC Driver
> * Add a checkmark for user defined functions

Add a checkmark for Derby for Intersection & Except (added in 10.1)

Since DaffodilDB is not open source, replace it with One$DB.

Put an X for encryption & Rowset support for One$DB.

Maybe add a column for backup/restore and put an X for One$DB.

Remove Pointbase, it's not open source is it?

Dan.