Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net> on 2007/12/24 14:51:59 UTC

Re: issues starting spamd

Saurabh Bhasin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded to p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.3.
>
> The vpopmail version I'm using is:
> pkg_info | grep vpop
> p5-vpopmail-0.08    Perl module to provide access to vpopmail API
> qmailadmin-1.2.10,1 CGI program for administering Qmail with
> vchkpw/vpopmail
> vpopmail-5.4.17     Easy virtual domain and authentication package for
> use with
>
> And I get the following error when trying to start sa-spamd (in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d):
> spamd: cannot use --vpopmail without -u
>
> I can't seem to find any relevant information after a few hours of
> google search. Would anyone know why this is happening and what steps
> i can take to fix this? Emails are coming in just fine, but spam
> filtering is not working (of course).

Well, it should be somewhat self explanatory.. You need to add a "-u
someusername" parameter to spamd's startup when using "--vopmail".

See also man spamd:
---------------------

**-v*, *--vpopmail**
    Enable vpopmail config. If specified with with *-u* set to the
    vpopmail user, this allows spamd to lookup/create user_prefs in the
    vpopmail user's own maildir. This option is useful for vpopmail
    virtual users who do not have an entry in the system /etc/passwd file.

    Currently, use of this without *-u* is not supported. This inhibits
    setuid.

---------------------

And
---------------------

**-u* /username/, *--username*=/username/*

    Run as the named user. If this option is not set, the default
    behaviour is to |setuid()| to the user running |spamc|, if |spamd|
    is running as root.

    Note: ``--username=root'' is not a valid option. If specified,
    |spamd| will exit with a fatal error on startup.

---------------------

What more information do you need?

Re: issues starting spamd

Posted by Saurabh Bhasin <sa...@bhasin.in>.
Matt,

Matt Kettler wrote:

[snip]
> Well, it should be somewhat self explanatory.. You need to add a "-u
> someusername" parameter to spamd's startup when using "--vopmail".
>
> See also man spamd:
> ---------------------
>
> **-v*, *--vpopmail**
>     Enable vpopmail config. If specified with with *-u* set to the
>     vpopmail user, this allows spamd to lookup/create user_prefs in the
>     vpopmail user's own maildir. This option is useful for vpopmail
>     virtual users who do not have an entry in the system /etc/passwd file.
>
>     Currently, use of this without *-u* is not supported. This inhibits
>     setuid.

Thanks, I did read the man page and tried to run with a -u (and user
spamd) but it wouldn't work. I tried it again after reading your note
and this seems to
work magically now. I'm baffled but i won't be too much since there's a
chance i had a typo in my syntax. Here's what I used now to get it running:

spamd -v -d -x -u spamd -r /var/run/spamd/spamd.pid

> ---------------------
>
> And
> ---------------------
>
> **-u* /username/, *--username*=/username/*
>
>     Run as the named user. If this option is not set, the default
>     behaviour is to |setuid()| to the user running |spamc|, if |spamd|
>     is running as root.
>
>     Note: ``--username=root'' is not a valid option. If specified,
>     |spamd| will exit with a fatal error on startup.

> What more information do you need?

Guess, nothing. Thanks for pointing it out again; made me read it over
again and not to give up :)
-Saurabh