Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/22 21:30:50 UTC

Alerting

What's the best way to trigger alert when jobs run for too long or have
many failures? Is there a hadoop command that can be used to perform this
activity?

Re: Alerting

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
What have you tried?

Best Regards,
Tariq
+91-9741563634
https://mtariq.jux.com/

Re: Alerting

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
What have you tried?

Re: Alerting

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
What have you tried?

Re: Alerting

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
What have you tried?

Re: Alerting

Posted by Junior Mint <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Junior Mint <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Junior Mint <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Junior Mint <ju...@gmail.com>.

RE: Alerting

Posted by Marcin Mejran <ma...@hooklogic.com>.
Yeah, oozie sounds like the best approach. I think "timeout" in Oozie refers to something different (stopping a coordinator if it hasn't started within X minutes) but the SLA mechanism should do what's asked for.

-Marcin

Also, I think that Oozie allows for timeouts in job submission.  That might answer your need.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>> wrote:
You can write a script to parse the Hadoop job list and send an alert.

The trick of putting a retry into your workflow system is a nice one.  If your program won't allow multiple copies to run at the same time, then if you re-invoke the program every, say, hour, then 5 retries implies that the previous invocation has been running for 5 hours.

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Mohit Anchlia <mo...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Need alerting

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>> wrote:
MR web UI?Although we can't trigger anything, it provides all the info related to the jobs. I mean it would be easier to just go there and and have a look at everything rather than opening the shell and typing the command.

I'm a bit lazy ;)

Best Regards,
Tariq
+91-9741563634<tel:%2B91-9741563634>

RE: Alerting

Posted by Marcin Mejran <ma...@hooklogic.com>.

RE: Alerting

Posted by Marcin Mejran <ma...@hooklogic.com>.

RE: Alerting

Posted by Marcin Mejran <ma...@hooklogic.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Re: Alerting

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
you may just add an alert via email to your workflow for the failure

you can try the retry with # feature tries and then send alert of job
failures (we used this for jobs running for over 5 hrs and worked well for
us)

--
Nitin Pawar

Re: Alerting