Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "W.P. McNeill" <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/12 00:25:36 UTC

Namenode does not start and generates no error messages

I am trying to run Hadoop as single-node cluster on OS X 10.7 (Lion),
Hadoop 0.20.203. The namenode does not start and gives no indication
of what is wrong.

> start-dfs.sh
starting namenode, logging to
/tmp/hadoop/logs/hadoop-williammcneill-namenode-William-McNeills-MacBook.local.out
localhost: starting datanode, logging to
/tmp/hadoop/logs/hadoop-williammcneill-datanode-William-McNeills-MacBook.local.out
localhost: starting secondarynamenode, logging to
/tmp/hadoop/logs/hadoop-williammcneill-secondarynamenode-William-McNeills-MacBook.local.out

The web interface at http://localhost:50070/dfshealth.jsp does not
respond and "hadoop fs" commands fail because the namenode is not
running.
> jps
1883 DataNode
1974 Jps
308
1954 SecondaryNameNode
316 RemoteMavenServer

The other DFS daemons appear to be running. I can also start the task tracker.

The namenode log file is not helpful. It just contains the following line:
> cat /tmp/hadoop/logs/hadoop-williammcneill-namenode-William-McNeills-MacBook.local.out
2011-12-11 15:08:50.065 java[1811:1903] Unable to load realm info from
SCDynamicStore
This is an unrelated issue (see HADOOP 7489).

I have been able to run the exact same version and configuration of
Hadoop on this machine before. I don't know why it is not working now.
The only major change to the machine I can think of is that I upgraded
to OS X 10.7.

Does anyone have an idea as to what the issue might be, or how I can
get the namenode to emit more helpful debugging information?

Re: Namenode does not start and generates no error messages

Posted by "W.P. McNeill" <bi...@gmail.com>.
The problem was that my DFS system was not formatted. After running "hadoop
namenode -format" I am able to launch the name node.

This was confusing because I did have my DFS system formatted before. I
must have deleted it and then forgotten that I deleted it.

Thanks.

Posted by Hemanth Makkapati <ma...@vt.edu>.
You need to format the namenode before you start its daemon.
Try  "*./hadoop namenode -format* " and then run start-dfs.sh