Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org> on 2010/01/22 20:36:19 UTC

Documentation versions?

El 1/22/2010 9:33 AM, Dale Newfield escribió:
> Stephen Turner wrote:
>> Oscar's syntax is described in the Struts docs:
>> http://struts.apache.org/2.0.8/docs/stream-result.html
>
> It's been updated in
> http://struts.apache.org/2.1.8.1/docs/stream-result.html Too bad the
> docs are versioned like that so that bad documents don't "go away"
> once they've been fixed.

Maybe we can put a message at the top of all non-current-release
document pages suggesting people check if they're using the specific
version for which they're reading the docs, and referring them to the
updated versions?

-Dale

Re: Documentation versions?

Posted by Dale Newfield <da...@newfield.org>.
Wendy Smoak wrote:
> How (technically) would you do that?

I don't know.  I was hoping someone with knowledge of the wiki export
process might be able to help us answer that question.  There are
fundamental parts of the documentation export process about which I'm
not aware -- for example, is it done once at release time, or is this
export automated and run periodically?  Once the export has happened, is
it served via wiki software, or are static pages generated and served
from there forward?

-Dale

RE: Documentation versions?

Posted by Br...@Cerner.com.

I would suggest having http://struts.apache.org/docs/ always proxy to the latest documentation, and then you can largely stop referring to specific versions altogether, letting the proxy point to the most current doc.  If fewer people are referencing specific versions, then fewer people will be looking at older versions, thus avoiding the problem.

Brian

--
Wendy

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.

Re: Documentation versions?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.