Posted to dev@olingo.apache.org by "Klevenz, Stephan" <st...@sap.com> on 2014/07/04 09:49:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] OData 4.0 / making the first release

Hi,

I want to start another discussion about making the first release for OData 4.0.

The client code is in a good shape and also the server code is nearly ready to support a basic read scenario for feeds and entries. Because of it is the first release there are quite a lot of things to do and I just will summarize what came into my mind:

  *   define a distribution set (zip files to be placed on download page)
     *   client java distribution (client jars + dependencies)
     *   client android distribution (I assume we need this?)
     *   server distribution (server jars + dependencies)
  *   maintain license and notice files
  *   refactor web pages (http://olingo.apache.org)
     *   OData 2.0 – 4.0
     *   Java, Javascript download pages + documentation
  *   The current version number is 0.1.0-SNAPSHOT thus release version will be 0.1.0. Is that ok?

Are there other things we have to do?

If you also think it is time to start with release effort then I will create a Jira issue for that and we can assign sub tasks for the details.

Regards,
Stephan

Re: [DISCUSS] OData 4.0 / making the first release

Posted by "Klevenz, Stephan" <st...@sap.com>.
Some update to release preparation tasks [1]:

LICENSE and NOTICE files are maintained for all default Maven artifacts
(jar and war files), see [2].
Correct LICENSE and NOTICE files are missing for the client artifacts
which are re-packed for Android. I didn't find a solution how to configure
jarjar plugin correctly. Can someone else volunteer here?

A distribution module is created [3] and builds ZIP files for

client core and proxy libraries
client android libraries *)
server libraries and
javadoc

*) Correct license files missing due to jarjar issue.

To get the distribution build you have to activate the apache release
profile:

mvn clean install -P apache-release

Is there any feedback to this?

Regards,
Stephan

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OLINGO-342
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OLINGO-343
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OLINGO-344

Posted by Yi Ding <yi...@microsoft.com>.
Hi Stephan,

I agree with you. Going forward with the things that you mentioned in your first initiative mail starting now is the right thing to do.

We have a list of features we want to have finished before mid August. Hopefully we can have all the high priority features done by end of July so that they can fit into the first release. If they can't, releasing soon after the first one that you described also makes sense.

Thank you very much.

Best,
Yi

Posted by "Klevenz, Stephan" <st...@sap.com>.
Hi Yi,

For the server part there are also some tasks in progress which we would
get finished for the first release.

I would prefer to go forward with all that work (finish feature
development and release preparation [1]). Lets say end of July we can
discuss again if code is good enough for making a first release.

I see also the option to postpone unfinished feature to the next release
after the first one. And I would have no concerns to do this next release
just a few weeks later. Release earlier and often.

From my experience the making of a first release is effort due to the
release policies by Apache [2]. If all policies are applied then the
follow up release are easier to do.

Posted by Yi Ding <yi...@microsoft.com>.
Hi Stephan,

Posted by "Klevenz, Stephan" <st...@sap.com>.