Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Dick Seymour <se...@u.washington.edu> on 2007/08/01 21:10:31 UTC

How to bulk-feed existing inbox through spamc?

I'm trying to have an existing installation of SA process an inbox
full of previously-received messages which were not scanned
when they arrived.   Kind'a like   "spamc < message > outfile"  but with
"message" being an mbox file with thousands of messages.
( /var/spool/mail/username )
The final desired output is the same /var/spool/mail/username,
but with all of the SA-detected spam removed.
The appropriate .procmailrc file already exists for the desired filtering.
SA v3.1.1   RedHat 9   procmail v3.22

I can make "offline" copies of all files to avoid collisions with normal
mail handling.

I can also move the file to newer spamassassin installations
(3.1.9, Fed6; 3.2.1 Fed7) if that would help

thanks --Dick

Re: How to bulk-feed existing inbox through spamc?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 12:10:31PM -0700, Dick Seymour wrote:
> I'm trying to have an existing installation of SA process an inbox
> full of previously-received messages which were not scanned
> when they arrived.   Kind'a like   "spamc < message > outfile"  but with
> "message" being an mbox file with thousands of messages.
> ( /var/spool/mail/username )
> The final desired output is the same /var/spool/mail/username,
> but with all of the SA-detected spam removed.
> The appropriate .procmailrc file already exists for the desired filtering.
> SA v3.1.1   RedHat 9   procmail v3.22

Removed?  SA doesn't do that.  Since you mention procmailrc, perhaps you would
do something like:

formail -s procmail -m someprocmailrc < mboxfile

?  You let procmail do its thing and filter to the right places, it can call
spamc too.

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Goda's Truism: