Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2019/10/17 12:29:43 UTC

Podling names pre code transfer

Hi,

I was reviewing this page [1] and noticed that what is current states is not what happens in practice. Podlings are encouraged to called themselves "Apache XXX" fairly early on and it takes some podlings a while to get all the code submitted the ASF repositories. In particular some projects with multiple repositories would have issues with this. Under a strict interpertation some podlings would not even be able to call themselves “Apache XXX” on graduation which seems a bit silly. Should it be clarified as the first donation? I think it may makes sense to simplify those 3 stages as proposal, approved and graduated and remove mention of the code drop altogether. Releases can’t be called Apache releases until the code moves over obviously.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://incubator.apache.org/guides/branding.html#publicity_throughout_the_incubation_process

Re: Podling names pre code transfer

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> Hmm..., I thought that all podlings should call themself Apache XXX (Incubating) before graduation. Am I being wrong?

You not wrong. During incubation podlings should call themselves Apache XXX, but only after then have donated code.Currently, in practice, its generally been done once the podling has been accepted into the incubator.

Thanks,
Justin

回复:Re: Podling names pre code transfer

Posted by Liu Ted <te...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Hmm..., I thought that all podlings should call themself Apache XXX (Incubating) before graduation. Am I being wrong?

Best regards,

Ted Liu, ASF Member

  2019 年 10 月 17 日周四 23:05,York Shen<sh...@gmail.com> 写道:   Agreed, remove "or pre-code-drop process” would be much more clear.

FYI: I always have the wrong impression that podlings are encouraged to call themself Apache Incubator-PodlingName before they graduates. Now, a lesson is learned for me, thanks.

Best Regards,
York Shen

申远

Posted by York Shen <sh...@gmail.com>.