Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by co...@covalent.net on 2002/05/24 17:00:13 UTC

Re: [VOTE] New Committer Dan Sandberg

That leaves me perplexed for several reasons...

First, it's the first time I see a commiter rejected - without any
reference to the quality and importance of his contribution, but some
new "member's" standard we don't know about. Dan put the SSI system in a
decent shape, that's similar with the contributions many others have
done to become commiters.

Second, if the 'members' and/or PMC has anything to say, I believe
it should do it directly and in a public forum. Beeing talked about
behind our back is not very comfortable.

I nominated quite a few of the current tomcat commiters, and
each of them made important contributions to tomcat. I used the
same 'standards' that Bill used when proposing Dan.

I believe we deserve some explanation from the 'members', I'm
quite unhappy about this whole issue. If there are some new
quantitative standards for becoming a commiter ( or a member )
we should know about.

Costin

Re: Criteria for commit access

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> Having said this, there is nothing wrong with discussing criteria for
> proposing committers. In a conversation I had with Stefano Mazzocchi a
> long time ago, he outlined the reasons for his liberal policy (for
> granting commit access). I tend to oscillate between a liberal policy
> and a conservative one.  A discussion on this topic is very well
> deserved imho.

And thats fine, I just think it should be up to the community in the
end.  Providing non-binding guidence is good, but restricting the rights
of the Tomcat community is a very unfree and open attitude.

> --
> Ceki
>
> ps: The tomcat developers should complete the vote on Dan's
> candidacy. His candidacy should not be hostage to this discussion.

Agreed, and lets try and change the subject of all replying threads,
think how the poor guy must feel to fall victim to the general @ Jakarta
trial by incident.  He just submits some patches and suddenly his name
is at the top of Google with a bunch of guys arguing whether he should
be admitted.  Lets make this subject what it is. (and remove his name
from it)

-Andy

Re: Criteria for commit access; was: [VOTE] New Committer Dan Sandberg

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 10:07 24.05.2002 -0700, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
>On Fri, 24 May 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
> > Personally, I feel this discussion belongs solely on the tomcat list and
> > is up to the committers of Tomcat to resolve.  If the Tomcat community
> > feels the bar should be raised, let them raise it.  If they do not, then
> > it shall not be raised.  I don't feel it should be up to anyone else.
>
>I CC: general because the PMC was on the Cc:
>
>I think any discussion that is related with the PMC should be on general.
>( except exceptions ).
>
>It seems the request to raise the bar comes from the 'members', at least
>that's what I can conclude from Pier's mail - and thus is of general
>interest.

Absolutely.

It is crystal clear that the decision to grant committer access to a
project lies solely with the project itself, not the PMC nor the ASF
board. (I mean "project" in the Ant, Avalon sense, not the
Jakarta sense.)

Posted by Kurt Schrader <ks...@engin.umich.edu>.
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:

> >And at large, it entitles you to have an @apache.org email address, to have
> >access to our live servers, entitles you to be a part of the whole Apache
> >family...
> >
> you're point being?

I think that the point is that when you gain an @apache.org account,
you're not just getting a throwaway free e-mail account, you're becoming a
representative of Apache and the organization.  I think that it's akin
to your work e-mail address, as there's a certain amount (at least in my
head) of responsibility attached to possessing it and using it properly.

-Kurt

Re: Criteria for commit access

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

>> Andy, not everyone grew up in Texas! :) I don't eat beef anymore (you know
>> mad-cow disease and smallpox in the UK)
>>
> Dern Europeans ain' speaking proper 'merican.  Anyhow, just wait around
> and you'll catch me speaking Spanish too.

No estas problema, chico! :)

>> From general@ I want feedback as well, we're talking about it, several
>> people responded, so I'm trying to challenge my own -1 with comments not
>> only from the restricted group of Tomcat...
>>
> Okay...thats fine.  This Andy alarm was triggered because I thought you
> were looking for creating a more top down organization.

Nope, I'm actually trying to figure out how commit access should be given,
but that will come later in another email...

>> Do you realize that when you give access to someone in _your_ community,
>> you're opening a backdoor that entitles that person _ALSO_ to other
>> "privileges" and that your decision will or could, at the end, affect other
>> people that you don't even know?
>>
> Yes, again, back to the you're right to breed example...  Jakarta is a
> community of communities.  The power flows bottom up.  Not top down.
> (in general, according to my limited viewpoint of the world)

Correct, indeed, that's why we elect people from the bottom to the top, for
example, to sit on the PMC, or (since I just closed the vote right now) on
the ASF board...

>> Worthless on the matter of making me change my vote FOR THAT PERSON
>> SPECIFICALLY, maybe. Worthless to the idea of a better structured and
>> integrated Jakarta-as-a-whole community? Hardly.
>>
> I am against a top-down decision process in bringing in new committers.

+1...

> There is such a process for bringing in new projects, and thats
> probably the right thing to do.

Yes, because our infrastructure is limited, and our scope is limited, we're
not SourceForge, right?

> But I'm in no position to know what a
> person has done for Tomcat and whether he should get a vote in Tomcat.

As I'm not in that position for POI...

> As for the fact that that gives him some limited status and control in
> the project as a whole, you're looking at that wrong in my opinion.  Its
> Tomcat's right to grant him that power.  If Tomcat is misusing that
> right, its up to you as a Tomcat committer with a binding vote to stop
> them.  I think you did the right thing.

But there might be cases in which we _want_ that to happen (I'll detail in a
further email I'm working on).

>> Just one question, have you ever voted -1 on a committer? (and not just to
>> you, but to every committer on this list).
>>
> I'm a sneaky b*stard.  I never propose anyone on list until I ask them
> offlist if he wants to be a committer.  I apply the most patches and so
> I generally propose most of the committers (based on how bad you've
> inundated me with patches, I consider making you a committer a
> punishment for making me do too much work :-p).  I have told people "no
> you can't be a committer" or "you can ask but I'll vote -1" before, but
> thats as far as it went.

That's good, you do most of the work, you _know_ the person you're dealing
with, you can propose him as a committer or not... You know what's going
on... Frankly in my case I didn't...

> I have been tempted once, there was one person who I thought really
> should be made a committer, but I chose to abstain from the vote because
> I was not prepared to air out the reasons why.

That's what happened last week with another committer vote on tomcat-dev
(same story), I didn't vote...

> If I felt someone was being made a committer too quickly I certainly
> would do the same as you and -1 them.

So you (at the end) agree :) Good! :) (And given me some valuable point for
the next step)...

    Pier

--
[Perl] combines all the worst aspects of C and Lisp:  a billion of different
sublanguages in  one monolithic executable.  It combines the power of C with

Re: Criteria for commit access

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>Andy, not everyone grew up in Texas! :) I don't eat beef anymore (you know
>mad-cow disease and smallpox in the UK)

Dern Europeans ain' speaking proper 'merican.  Anyhow, just wait around
and you'll catch me speaking Spanish too.

>>I do not think the PMC should intervene just because the others
>>disagree.  This looks like an issue that is totally restricted to the
>>Tomcat community.  I don't understand the issue.  The system is working.
>>. .why raise a fuss elsewhere.  You have an issue with the standards and
>>you've vetoed the committership.  This seems to me to be exactly what is
>>supposed to happen...
>>

>Because it is the very first time that someone -1s a new committer. I've
>never seen it happening, and I want more feedback from all the different
>possible sources ever...
>
>I CCed members because I esteem the judgement and knowledge of every single
>one of them and I had _very_ good feedback from them, I CCed PMC because I'm
>utterly stupid and still I don't remember to use general@ for
>trivial/crossproject matters (and I welcome Costin's correction in
>forwarding it to the appropriate list)...
>
>>>From general@ I want feedback as well, we're talking about it, several
>people responded, so I'm trying to challenge my own -1 with comments not
>only from the restricted group of Tomcat...

Okay...thats fine.  This Andy alarm was triggered because I thought you
were looking for creating a more top down organization.

>>So the system works!  Good news!
>>

>I still don't follow....

You veto'd.  That means the system work.  The standard is upheld.

>>Right but it should be up to ya'll tomcatters to work out your standards
>>amonst yerselves.  Thats my only issue.
>>

>Nope, because if I vote a committer in, I give him access to the Tomcat CVS
>repo, but I also entitle him to vote for the friggin' next PMC, and _YOU_ my
>friend, might not like my choice, right?

Just like if we were citizens of the same country and you brought a
child into the world.  That doesn't mean I should have a say in the
matter.  As I understand it, the PMC is here to serve the needs of the
different communities, not vice versa.  So Its perfectly logical for the
Tomcat folks to decide making someone a committer is in their best
interests and then by extension granting that person those rights to
vote their individiual interests as a way of further contributing to
Tomcat.

Philisopically this is federalism, or more closely "confederalism".

>>But its up to the Tomcat community.  The system works.  No action is
>>needed aside from that you've taken on the Tomcat list.
>>

>Maybe for _you_, not for _me_... Being utterly stupid, completely
>irresponsible, and definitely insecure, I need other people comments, not on
>the particular issue of _the_guy_ in se, but on a more general issue on
>_why_ I voted that way.

My opinion (just my 2c that SHOULD not count for any more than Pier is
interested) -- the system works.  If you felt uncomforable with this
person being a commiter, you should have voted -1.

>Ok, I should have voted -1 and then raised this all stuff in a _different_
>email to general, OK OK, I foobared up once more, but you guys should be
>used to it by now...

;-)

>Do you realize that when you give access to someone in _your_ community,
>you're opening a backdoor that entitles that person _ALSO_ to other
>"privileges" and that your decision will or could, at the end, affect other
>people that you don't even know?

Yes, again, back to the you're right to breed example...  Jakarta is a
community of communities.  The power flows bottom up.  Not top down.
 (in general, according to my limited viewpoint of the world)

>Worthless on the matter of making me change my vote FOR THAT PERSON
>SPECIFICALLY, maybe. Worthless to the idea of a better structured and
>integrated Jakarta-as-a-whole community? Hardly.

I am against a top-down decision process in bringing in new committers.
 There is such a process for bringing in new projects, and thats
probably the right thing to do.  But I'm in no position to know what a
person has done for Tomcat and whether he should get a vote in Tomcat.

As for the fact that that gives him some limited status and control in
the project as a whole, you're looking at that wrong in my opinion.  Its
Tomcat's right to grant him that power.  If Tomcat is misusing that
right, its up to you as a Tomcat committer with a binding vote to stop
them.  I think you did the right thing.

>>No, you voted -1.  They have a right to try and convince you to change
>>you vote, but the issue is decided.
>>

>The issue is not decided until the vote ends, and that means 3 days past the
>request for vote...

And you've voted -1.  They should try to convince you otherwise, but
*shrug*.

Posted by Morgan Delagrange <md...@yahoo.com>.
> Just one question, have you ever voted -1 on a committer? (and not just to
> you, but to every committer on this list).
>
>     Pier

Yes I'm several days behind in email.  :)  Catching up now...

I voted -0 on a couple of committers once because I didn't feel that their
qualifications were well-specified.  They were nominated for Commons, but
they had made either insubsubstantial or nonexistent (can't recall which) to
the Commons mailing lists.

It was very similar circumstances.  I was uncomfortable with the credentials
supplied, Costin, Remy and Jean-frederic clarified the proposed committers'
status in Jakarta, and I retracted my objection.  You can see part of the
thread here:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg03817.html

If I recall correctly, there was in my view a little unnecessary huffiness
in the discussion (like Pier, I just wanted clarification on who they were)
but I think it turned out satisfactorily in the end.

- Morgan

Re: Criteria for commit access

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> Just one question, have you ever voted -1 on a committer? (and not just to
> you, but to every committer on this list).

I've abstained, informally (off-list, that is) from voting, once. The
guy in question had been active in a part of our project but I hadn't
been following on that at all, so I felt incapable to judge.

(ducks in fear of flaming swords coming down from the sky at blazing
speed to strike him dead for committing (pun intended) this terrible
sin)

- Leo

Re: Criteria for commit access

Posted by co...@covalent.net.
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> > Right but it should be up to ya'll tomcatters to work out your standards
> > amonst yerselves.  Thats my only issue.
>
> Nope, because if I vote a committer in, I give him access to the Tomcat CVS
> repo, but I also entitle him to vote for the friggin' next PMC, and _YOU_ my
> friend, might not like my choice, right?

I think in much simpler terms - if someone writes code and does work that
is important for a project, he deserves to have the same rights as all
other people who write code and do work.

Our goal is to get people involved and to get them to spend their free
time and weekends helping us make the best container. If someone shows
the potential of making tomcat better, I would vote for him, even
if I don't agree with his 'political' choices.

If one quarter of the new commiters make 1/2 the contributions that people
like Sam Ruby did - I'm quite happy.

If this ( jakarta or tomcat ) into a elitist group that believes it is
better than the rest of the world - I would rather spend my time
contributing to sourceforge projects.

But arguing that someone shouldn't be a commiter because he may elect
someone we don't like in a PMC or because we don't like the portion
of the code he is interested in - that's unfair and wrong ( IMHO ).

Beeing a tomcat ( or jakarta ) developer is not easy. You have to spend
your time doing work and getting flames in return. You don't own
the code you write.  Up until recently we couldn't even vote for
the PMC, and have little influence over the ASF decisions ( who is the
owner of the code we write ).

Costin

Re: Criteria for commit access

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:

>> That's what I did... I posted my -1 over there, detailed why, and I'm
>> waiting for someone to write me back something about it... So far, nothing
>> worth making me change my vote (meaning, nothing more than what was already
>> there).
>
> So that means its vetoed...what's your beef?

Andy, not everyone grew up in Texas! :) I don't eat beef anymore (you know
mad-cow disease and smallpox in the UK)

>> No, my vote is binding... It's not a majority... I don't need the PMC to
>> block the thing from happening... They might need the PMC to unblock the
>> situation since I'm a stubborn donkey! :)
>>
> I do not think the PMC should intervene just because the others
> disagree.  This looks like an issue that is totally restricted to the
> Tomcat community.  I don't understand the issue.  The system is working.
> . .why raise a fuss elsewhere.  You have an issue with the standards and
> you've vetoed the committership.  This seems to me to be exactly what is
> supposed to happen...

Because it is the very first time that someone -1s a new committer. I've
never seen it happening, and I want more feedback from all the different
possible sources ever...

I CCed members because I esteem the judgement and knowledge of every single
one of them and I had _very_ good feedback from them, I CCed PMC because I'm
utterly stupid and still I don't remember to use general@ for
trivial/crossproject matters (and I welcome Costin's correction in
forwarding it to the appropriate list)...

>From general@ I want feedback as well, we're talking about it, several
people responded, so I'm trying to challenge my own -1 with comments not
only from the restricted group of Tomcat...

>> I trust _some_ of them on the server, as I believe not all of them trust me
>> (talking about code)... The only thing that _noone_ yet wrote to me on the
>> tomcat list saying "no, you should change your vote in a +1 or a 0 because
>> and because" makes me feel that (probably) I was right...
>>
>> Actually on the same topic, few other people raised my same concern and
>> agreed (although not posting another -1 vote)... We're all civilized and
>> stuff :) :) :) :)
>>
> So the system works!  Good news!

I still don't follow....

>> I normally trust the my co-committers on Tomcat, yes. Best coders I've seen
>> on this planet (of course apart notable exceptions, but that's another
>>
> bzzzt wrong. :-p   We sucked up the best coders on the planet for the
> POI project ;-)

I know... We dogs hang around in all the different projects :)

>> story). But trusting them doesn't need to mean that I'm going to jump of a
>> cliff if they all do it, right?
>>
> Right but it should be up to ya'll tomcatters to work out your standards
> amonst yerselves.  Thats my only issue.

Nope, because if I vote a committer in, I give him access to the Tomcat CVS
repo, but I also entitle him to vote for the friggin' next PMC, and _YOU_ my
friend, might not like my choice, right?

>> The only information I have to vote +1 for this guy on MY project (tomcat)
>> are a handful of email, and 3 weeks of history... I'm sorry, but I need to
>> know someone before I can honestly say "he's my buddy and I want to have him
>> on my project"
>>
> If I were a tomcat committer I'd vote with you, but I rarely understand
> those Tomcat guys.  Who DOES understand those Tomcat guys anyhow ;-).

Certainly I don't ! :)

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

> [...]

been so easy (code quality concerns, importance of a feature to the
community).  We've done so with the consent of our Advisor and with
occasional (all positive) input from other members of the greater
Jakarta community, but with next to absolute freedom.  We've executed
this with care and always stressed the importance of the agreement and I
think that is the trust instilled in us as a project.  I'd hate to see
that taken away from Tomcat.

I've seen other project be more careless, its up to you to inform them
of the magnitude of the situation, not argue that their rights should be
restricted.

I think you should argue your case on tomcat-dev and maybe see if others
will follow.  I don't think its appropriate to argue it here, or more
accurately, I feel strongly that no action should be taken outside of

=-Andy

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 24 May 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> It is of general interest (IMO) because becoming a committer entitles you
> not only to a little peaceful heaven in your own little project, but
> entitles you (and, frankly, obliges you) to be a part of the Jakarta
> Community at large. You will be given (for example) access to the
> jakarta-commons CVS repo (if that didn't change lately), it entitles you to
> put your name on the website and to elect the PMC.

That should be "jakarta-commons-sandbox" not "jakarta-commons".  Similar
rules apply for jakarta-commons as for all other Jakarta sub projects
(consensus approval).

regards,
michael

RE: [VOTE] New Committer Dan Sandberg

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> I'm sorry, but I believe that any time a new committer is made,
> we _need_ to
> put some thought in what we're "giving away", we're not just letting a guy
> commit to our CVS server...

+1

Re: [VOTE] New Committer Dan Sandberg

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"costinm@covalent.net" <co...@covalent.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 24 May 2002, Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>
>> Personally, I feel this discussion belongs solely on the tomcat list and
>> is up to the committers of Tomcat to resolve.  If the Tomcat community
>> feels the bar should be raised, let them raise it.  If they do not, then
>> it shall not be raised.  I don't feel it should be up to anyone else.
>
> I CC: general because the PMC was on the Cc:
>
> I think any discussion that is related with the PMC should be on general.
> ( except exceptions ).

Yes, my mistake... I have to remember that instead of pmc@ we use general@
right now...

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Leo Simons" <le...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I believe we deserve some explanation from the 'members', I'm
>>> quite unhappy about this whole issue. If there are some new
>>> quantitative standards for becoming a commiter ( or a member )
>>> we should know about.
>>
>> The ASF members didn't impose any standard. Read my mail on _why_ I CCed the
>> members list (I just explained it, the "issue" of bars and such was brought
>> up, meaning that there's interest) and I'd like to do some cross-project
>> pollination....
>
> While I think we should recognise that each project can set its own
> standards up to a degree, becoming a committer also entitles you to some
> jakarta-wide priveledges, which means there should be an (albeit
> unspoken) agreement between projects on what is the "minimum". So I
> agree this is a valuable discussion.

Exactly my point. We're not just letting a guy commit on our CVS. We're
entitling him of privileges which are going to modify the balance or the
project where he's committing (tomcat), the umbrella where his project is
hosted (jakarta) and the foundation itself....

>> Dan made some excellent contribution to the SSIServlet, great, but on my
>> archive, I can see that he posted 7 times to the list, and the first time
>> exactly 24 days ago.
>
> I do not think this has to mean he is not a member of the developers
> community per se.

No, absolutely not. If someone could tell me _something_more_ about Dan,
apart from what I can see with my own eyes (7 emails, 1 patch and a request
to be made a committer), well, I'll be happy to drop my vote... Just LET ME
KNOW HIM! :)

> For example, Avalon is tightly coupled to Cocoon. A lot of stuff in
> Avalon has been brought over from cocoon. There could be a member who
> has been working on that code for a long time, using avalon for a long
> time, and now is becoming a maintainer of that code, while only ever
> having posted 3 messages to the avalon list before. I can see how this
> person could qualify for committer status.

It's like when we "incorporate" new projects... Ceki was given the committer
status "as is", he didn't have to "prove" himself to be able/worthy of
working on the code he wrote :) (I keep talking about

> However, the following quote alone
>
> "He has already put in a great deal of work in re-factoring the
> SSIServlet in Tomcat 4.x, and seems to be willing to further contribute
> to working on this."
>
> doesn't imo provide enough of a case to grant this person (who I don't
> know anything about, btw) committer status.

Neither I know anything about him... How can I +1 him if I don't know?

> I'm guessing that there are other unspoken qualities about him /
> assurances of his commitment that made some of the tomcat committers
> feel this person in fact should be granted committer status.

I hope... Up until now (funny enough) the only "evidence" I gathered on him
is that he's also a member of the tomcat-user mailing list, but unluckily, I
haven't had time to go in the archives and read (yet).

> When all
> committers know about these other facts, everything is fine. When they
> do not (which I assume happened in this case), a -1 is in order, and the
> proposal can be ellaborated upon, after which the -1 can become a +1.

Indeed... I don't want to close any door anywhere.

> If the guy who voted -1 still feels it is a valid vote after this
> ellaboration and following discussion, well, the candidate will probably
> understand the reasoning, and if he truely does deserve committer
> status, it will be granted to him in time, no?

A -1 always have to come with a "motive"... My motive for my -1 is: I don't
know the guy. And usually (at least in the old days), a -1 means, and now
you make me change my mind... A -1 is a challenge, and god knows how many
good things came out of -1s... :)

> So I think there is no reason to be very unhappy with the current
> process we have: no project is even remotely likely to be destroyed by
> committers not worth the status, and no potential committer with a thick
> enough skin to survive at jakarta in the long run is turned away.

Nope, absolutely not... I just want to get to know who Dan is, and raise
some awareness / discuss about how/why we should accept new committers in.

    Pier

Re: [VOTE] New Committer Dan Sandberg

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> > I believe we deserve some explanation from the 'members', I'm
> > quite unhappy about this whole issue. If there are some new
> > quantitative standards for becoming a commiter ( or a member )
> > we should know about.
>
> The ASF members didn't impose any standard. Read my mail on _why_ I CCed the
> members list (I just explained it, the "issue" of bars and such was brought
> up, meaning that there's interest) and I'd like to do some cross-project
> pollination....

While I think we should recognise that each project can set its own
standards up to a degree, becoming a committer also entitles you to some
jakarta-wide priveledges, which means there should be an (albeit
unspoken) agreement between projects on what is the "minimum". So I
agree this is a valuable discussion.

> Dan made some excellent contribution to the SSIServlet, great, but on my
> archive, I can see that he posted 7 times to the list, and the first time
> exactly 24 days ago.

I do not think this has to mean he is not a member of the developers
community per se.

For example, Avalon is tightly coupled to Cocoon. A lot of stuff in
Avalon has been brought over from cocoon. There could be a member who
has been working on that code for a long time, using avalon for a long
time, and now is becoming a maintainer of that code, while only ever
having posted 3 messages to the avalon list before. I can see how this
person could qualify for committer status.

However, the following quote alone

"He has already put in a great deal of work in re-factoring the
SSIServlet in Tomcat 4.x, and seems to be willing to further contribute
to working on this."

doesn't imo provide enough of a case to grant this person (who I don't
know anything about, btw) committer status.

I'm guessing that there are other unspoken qualities about him /
assurances of his commitment that made some of the tomcat committers
feel this person in fact should be granted committer status. When all

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"costinm@covalent.net" <co...@covalent.net> wrote:

> That leaves me perplexed for several reasons...
>
> First, it's the first time I see a commiter rejected - without any
> reference to the quality and importance of his contribution, but some
> new "member's" standard we don't know about. Dan put the SSI system in a
> decent shape, that's similar with the contributions many others have
> done to become commiters.
>
> Second, if the 'members' and/or PMC has anything to say, I believe
> it should do it directly and in a public forum. Beeing talked about
> behind our back is not very comfortable.
>
> I nominated quite a few of the current tomcat commiters, and
> each of them made important contributions to tomcat. I used the
> same 'standards' that Bill used when proposing Dan.
>
> I believe we deserve some explanation from the 'members', I'm
> quite unhappy about this whole issue. If there are some new
> quantitative standards for becoming a commiter ( or a member )
> we should know about.

The ASF members didn't impose any standard. Read my mail on _why_ I CCed the
members list (I just explained it, the "issue" of bars and such was brought
up, meaning that there's interest) and I'd like to do some cross-project
pollination....

Dan made some excellent contribution to the SSIServlet, great, but on my
archive, I can see that he posted 7 times to the list, and the first time
exactly 24 days ago.

He sent a patch, thank you, but in my book this is far for being a member of
the developers community. I'm just uncomfortable with the bar set by this
community to accept new committers in, and since nothing gets discussed
unless someone does something "outrageous" like voting -1 on a new
committer, well, there's no better troublemaker than me to do it :)

    Pier

Re: [VOTE] New Committer Dan Sandberg

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.