Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Dan Connelly <ds...@adelphia.net> on 2001/05/12 20:07:08 UTC

Dynamic Prop instead of Workflow

Let me retract my recent offer (under Re: I'm back) in which I signed up for
the Workflow project.  (But leave me on the mailing list.)   The formulation
of  the "Workflow Processing" TODO item is a bit too grandiose for my sense
of the Struts mission.  (It goes too far into Business Process and well
adrift of the target of a universal MVC framework for web development, IMO.)

I will volunteer, instead, for the "ActionForms With Dynamic Properties"
TODO item.  This is a limited form of Workflow, and a functionality I have
always associated with the MVC framwork.  Struts is a "web-end" enabler, not
a replacement for existing business process tools.  Struts cannot redo, for
example, SAP or BizTalk.

But maybe I'm just confused.  What does it mean (as Workflow mdeling for
MVC) that "business logic (now encoded in Action classes) can be subdivided
into individual work Tasks."?   Wouldn't adding that structure put Struts on
a collision course with BizTalk?