Posted to kerby@directory.apache.org by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com> on 2015/12/28 02:12:11 UTC

Rename master branch to trunk and create 1.0.0-RC2 branch for the upcoming release

Hi,

I'd suggest we use 'trunk' instead of 'master' to name the trunk branch as mostly often seen in other projects. It will be easier understood by new comers.
Meanwhile, I'll update pom.xml files to use the version like '2.0.0-SNAPSHOT' for the trunk branch, and create a branch like 'branch-1.0.0-RC2' using the current version '1.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT' for the upcoming release. I thought every release should cut its own branch, though unfortunately we don't have one for the past RC1 release.

If no objection, I'll proceed today late. And after that, I'll do some cleanup and move some codes out of the 'branch-1.0.0-RC2' branch to prepare for the release.

Regards,
Kai

RE: Rename master branch to trunk and create 1.0.0-RC2 branch for the upcoming release

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
I meant the change had already happened, looking at the Github web site.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Li, Jiajia" <ji...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Li, Jiajia" <ji...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

Posted by "Li, Jiajia" <ji...@intel.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Let's just rename master to trunk and leave other thoughts for future consideration as we don't get much inputs.

While I'm doing the rename, it failed due to lacking the permission. Would anybody help with this? Thanks.

$ git push asf :master trunk
Username for 'https://git-wip-us.apache.org': drankye
Password for 'https://drankye@git-wip-us.apache.org':
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: Rewinding refs/heads/master is forbidden.
remote:
To https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-kerby.git
 ! [remote rejected] master (pre-receive hook declined)
 ! [remote rejected] trunk -> trunk (pre-receive hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/directory-kerby.git'

Regards,
Kai

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
>>+1 to that.
Thanks.

>> Keep it to 1.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT. this is what is going to be released.
>> Don't. It's done automatically when we cut the release.
Well, don't, which surely can be an option as we used to so far. But in someone's view, it doesn't make much sense to use the upcoming release version for the trunk branch. I thought trunk branch can point to a somewhat much future version as often seen in other projects. A practical question would be, since trunk branch is exactly the branch we're going to release, then where to put the codes that's not appropriate for the release yet?  In my proposed approach, the trunk branch and upcoming release branch are decoupled as many projects do.

>> of cpurse we have one :
>>https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=directory-kerby.git;a=tag;h=4bea5b4979eab53e090bf051a25d1fb017512c55
Glad we can still track it. I don't see it when run 'git branch -a'. It's hard for users and developers to find it out.

>> The release process will take charge of taht automatically. There is nothing you need to do
I mean, there are some codes that are not mature for the upcoming release, and I need to remove it out of the branch we're going to release upon.

Regards,
Kai

> I'd suggest we use 'trunk' instead of 'master' to name the trunk branch as mostly often seen in other projects.

+1 to that.

> It will be easier understood by new comers.
> Meanwhile, I'll update pom.xml files to use the version like
> '2.0.0-SNAPSHOT' for the trunk branch,
Keep it to 1.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT. this is what is going to be released.

> and create a branch like 'branch-1.0.0-RC2' using the current version '1.0.0-RC2-SNAPSHOT' for the upcoming release.

Don't. It's done automatically when we cut the release.

> I thought every release should cut its own branch, though unfortunately we don't have one for the past RC1 release.
of cpurse we have one :
https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=directory-kerby.git;a=tag;h=4bea5b4979eab53e090bf051a25d1fb017512c55

> If no objection, I'll proceed today late. And after that, I'll do some cleanup and move some codes out of the 'branch-1.0.0-RC2' branch to prepare for the release.
The release process will take charge of taht automatically. There is nothing you need to do, exept may be change from master to trunk.

Re: Rename master branch to trunk and create 1.0.0-RC2 branch for the upcoming release

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Thanks Jiajia.

Posted by "Li, Jiajia" <ji...@intel.com>.
It's working now.

--

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

RE: Rename master branch to trunk and create 1.0.0-RC2 branch for the upcoming release

Posted by "Li, Jiajia" <ji...@intel.com>.
It's work now.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

RE: Rename master branch to trunk and create 1.0.0-RC2 branch for the upcoming release

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

RE: Rename master branch to trunk and create 1.0.0-RC2 branch for the upcoming release

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: Rename master branch to trunk and create 1.0.0-RC2 branch for the upcoming release

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder