Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/09/17 18:18:23 UTC

Re: Derby + web app servers [Was: Feedback manuals/develop/develop78.html]

A "server framework" is just a piece of software than can accept and
process network communication.  The Derby Network Server is a good example.

You can easily embed Derby in a web app server and support multiple
clients accessing the database through that web server. You can use
Derby in embedded mode or in client/server mode using the Network Server.

Stan Bradbury did writeups that explain how to use Derby+Geronimo and
Derby+WebSphere for the iBATIS JPetStore 4 application:

    http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/JPetStoreGeronimo.html
    http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/JPetStoreWebSphere.html

I realize that every web app server is different, but I wonder if his
writeups on Geronimo and WebSphere might help you understand what could
be done for JBoss. If it does help and you figure it out, would you post
feedback to this list? I'm sure others would be interested.

regards,

  -jean

ps. You can also use Tomcat. The Derby embedded tutorial at
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/fortune_tut.html shows a way to embed
Derby in Tomcat using the Derby embedded JDBC driver. It's based on
Lance Bader's developerWorks article at
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0508bader/,
which also includes a strategy that uses the Network Server. He recently
updated his article for Derby 10.