Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/29 18:49:14 UTC

Licensing table?

I'm attempting to find a definitive answer somewhere regarding whether or
not it is ok to bundle(and download from asf servers) third party software
distributed under a BSD style license. This is specifically for the BSD
license provided by http://dojotoolkit.org.

I have found this wiki page for the jakarta people, but it indicates that
this isn't an official page but more of an understanding.
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/LicenceIssues.

Understandably, my projects PMC (jakarta-tapestry/Howard Lewis-Ship) is very
uneasy about the idea of tapestry testing the "understanding" of these
liceneses without a formal answer somewhere. Everything I read references
the board needing to have an official vote to make any of these things
official.

My questions in summary are, are BSD style licenses compatible with jakarta
apache projects in such a way that outside project code can be downloaded
with these licenses from the ASF? (assuming that the normal licensing
inclusion/other guidelines are followed) If there is no definitive answer to
it yet, what might be the best next step I can take to get more
clarification?

jesse

Re: Licensing table?

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Dec 29, 2005, at 9:49 AM, Jesse Kuhnert wrote:

> I'm attempting to find a definitive answer somewhere regarding
> whether or not it is ok to bundle(and download from asf servers)
> third party software distributed under a BSD style license. This is
> specifically for the BSD license provided by http://dojotoolkit.org.

Yes, you can use and redistribute any BSD-licensed work within an
Apache product.  BSD is a subset of the Apache License terms.

....Roy

Re: Licensing table?

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Woot! Thanks for the quick answers. :) I've updated the
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/LicenceIssues page to at least say the BSD
portion is confirmed.

Re: Licensing table?

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: Licensing table?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Licensing table?

Posted by Jeffrey Thompson <jt...@us.ibm.com>.
Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> wrote on 12/29/2005 12:49:14 PM:

> My questions in summary are, are BSD style licenses compatible with
> jakarta apache projects in such a way that outside project code can
> be downloaded with these licenses from the ASF? (assuming that the
> normal licensing inclusion/other guidelines are followed) If there
> is no definitive answer to it yet, what might be the best next step
> I can take to get more clarification?
>
> jesse

An official policy listing how to treat each license is in the works.
However, I think the clear consensus is that at least for BSD licenses
there is no issue with incorporating that code into an Apache project.
There is an ongoing discussion on whether it is best to license that code
out from Apache under the ASL or to pass on the BSD license.
Jeff

Staff Counsel, IBM Corporation  (914)766-1757  (tie)8-826  (fax) -8160
(web) http://www.beff.net/