Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by da...@apache.org on 2021/06/03 08:34:38 UTC

Re: [Discuss] Moving the Converter implementation to OSGi at Eclipse

Hi all,

The OSGi Converter has now moved to
https://github.com/osgi/osgi/tree/main/org.osgi.util.converter and patches
are most welcome :)

I've removed the files from the Felix codebase
https://github.com/apache/felix-dev/commit/143ba444db23ca1746a8e28824025bb6b2327ca8
however they are still present in the project history, of course.

Snapshots can be picked up from
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots/org/osgi/org.osgi.util.converter/

Best regards,

David

On Thu, 27 May 2021 at 09:18, <da...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks for the discussion. I'll initiate the migration of the
> converter/converter codebase as discussed.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> David Bosschaert
>
> On Mon, 10 May 2021 at 23:49, David Leangen <os...@leangen.net> wrote:
>

>> Hey David,
>>
>> Ok, thanks!
>>
>> =David
>>

>> > On May 10, 2021, at 21:25, David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi David,
>> >
>> > Under the 'converter' umbrella in Felix there are 3 subprojects besides
>> the
>> > converter itself:
>> > * serializer
>> > * schematizer
>> > * persister
>> >
>> > I personally think it would be absolutely fine to leave them in Apache
>> > Felix. They build atop the converter. The converter API itself doesn't
>> > change in any way, so these components can just stay where they are...
>> >
>> > Does that make sense to you?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > David

>> managed to
>> does

>> committers
>> you
>> the
>> at

>> from
>> would

>> at
>> be:
>> >>>>>

>> https://github.com/osgi/osgi/tree/main/org.osgi.util.converter/src/org/osgi/util/converter

>> https://newsroom.eclipse.org/news/announcements/osgi-alliance-transfers-governance-osgi-specifications-open-source-software
>> >>>>

>> https://docs.osgi.org/specification/osgi.cmpn/7.0.0/util.converter.html
>> https://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/osgi/org.osgi.util.converter/

Re: [Discuss] Moving the Converter implementation to OSGi at Eclipse

Posted by da...@apache.org.
Hi Konrad, all,

While doing bugfix releases of the Converter should normally be easy at
OSGi in Eclipse I just found out that you can only do a Service Release in
Eclipse once a first actual release has been done. As per the Eclipse
Process [5] you need a 'Major or Minor' release first.
Right now, we're only at the start of OSGi's life at Eclipse and there is
no release just yet. The first is planned for Q3, 2021.

So until then, I would suggest that we do any patch releases here in Felix
- I'm happy to kick one off as requested, Konrad.

Once the first OSGi releases are done at Eclipse, this problem should go
away.

Best regards,

David

[5] https://www.eclipse.org/projects/efsp/#efsp-terms