Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by chinni20 <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/04 21:31:21 UTC

What are the limitations of J Meter

Hi,

Does J Meter has any limitations ? such as

1.On one comupter how many concurrent users can run?
2.Is J Meter supports JavaScript embedded web applications as well as
AJAX,Web2.0 technologies based applications?
3.If I need to run on mulitple computers simlutaenioulsy what is the
process,What I mean to say is how can I share the script and run?

Thanks,
Raj

Re: What are the limitations of J Meter

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
>  From that information, I cannot say more than that Jmeter would be a
> good tool for the job.

Sorry - "no more".

Re: What are the limitations of J Meter

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.
On 01/08/2011 12:49 AM, chinni20 wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Thank You so much!
>
> I need your suggestion!
>
> I have 45 days left for creating the scripts and running the scripts , Could
> you  please suggest  what is best load test tool for recording and running
> the scripts?
>
> Application uses technologies such as : AJAX,JavaScript,CSS,JSON,Webservices

 From that information, I cannot say more than that Jmeter would be a
good tool for the job.

Cheers,
Felix

Re: What are the limitations of J Meter

Re: What are the limitations of J Meter

Posted by Michel Duijvestijn <du...@gmail.com>.
Another option is the use of Badboy. See http://www.badboy.com.au/
After you have made your recording with Badboy you can export it to a
JMeter script.
If you are working with JMeter 2.4 you should use Badboy Version
2.1.1_beta_1 or above: the older versions are'nt compatible with the
2.4 version of JMeter.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
yes

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
well you usually do get that off the 1000 , 100 will do search , another 100
will perform ordering flow , the rest browse the site or something similar
to that.

>It's MUCH easier to try and find the maximum tolerable load measured in
(e.g.) page interactions per second.
Yes but you cant really do anything with that number. Shared Code interacts
in complex ways - Its your second step thats the important one and given
time constraints that all projects suffer it might not be practical to do
what you propose (Im not disagreeing with your approach by the way).

Posted by Felix Frank <ff...@mpexnet.de>.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
you should be able to do what you want with JMeter (but I'd use more than
one machine to simulate 1000 users - atleast 4)

You might need to do some calculations based on your app though. 1000 users
logged in but how many requests in parallel to the server(factoring in your
AJAX calls as well) and how many requests totally in a fixed time period
(only you know your application).

When you say transaction response time , what you can get is the server time
+ network time (for the network on which you are running the test) . Again
this might need you to guesstimate your actual time.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
Jmeter isnt a browser. Hence the concept of refreshing parts of a page is
irrelevant when you are conducting a test in JMeter.

Can Jmeter send the same http request that the AJAX call would have made -
yes
But do you want to test if your javascript fires the AJAX call - No Jmeter
doesnt do this
Do you want o check if the part of your page that the call refreshes renders
correctly in the browser - No Jmeter doesnt do this
Do you want to have an accurate estimate of the time - Maybe you can get
this in JMeter.

There is no direct answer to your question read up the mail archives or
google jmeter and ajax. It depends on what your goal is.

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
hi

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-jmeter-user/201006.mbox/%3CAANLkTinDatmV6ALLEElKxRr3SB6zEvwSVayvgz88OKCo@mail.gmail.com%3E

regards
deepak

Posted by Deepak Shetty <sh...@gmail.com>.
search the mail archives , there are many discussions of the same topic
(ajax, concurrent users). The answer to both your questions is it depends.
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/HowManyThreads

For the third question read the manual or wiki e.g.
http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/jmeter_distributed_testing_step_by_step.pdf

Posted by "Mohanty, Samarjeet " <sa...@citi.com>.
Hi "Chinni20",

Just wondering if you went thru the JMeter Manual ( http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/usermanual/index.html ).

It has the answers for your Q.2 (mite require custom coding) and Q.3 (distributed testing).

As for Q.1 >> It depends on factors like,

a.  Hardware and Software Configuration of Load Simulator

b.  Component under test (HTTP or JMS or Java or something else) with JMeter

As far as I know, there's no hard and fast rule which can specify the user load on a particular load test machine, unless somebody else says otherwise.

Regards,

Samar