Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Alf Koegel <al...@hotmail.com> on 2003/01/21 12:36:19 UTC

Axis <-> Apache SOAP

Hi *!

Please don't hurt me! have patience of job with me!

Do you know a site describing the differences between axis and apache soap?

I'm starting a project, and it seems so, that there's no need of axis. But
we will see. Otherwise, in my suggestion it should be possible to move to
axis in the future ( without have many changes in the code / work ).
Is this suggestion correct?

Thanks.

Alf Koegel

Re: Axis <-> Apache SOAP

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
I believe there are summaries on the Apache SOAP and Axis sites that
together do a decent job of showing the differences.

A very brief explanation is that Apache SOAP implements most of SOAP
1.1, SOAP with Attachments and HTTP 1.0.  Axis implements most of
SOAP 1.1, WSDL 1.1, SOAP with Attachments, DIME, JAX-RPC, SAAJ and
HTTP 1.0, as well as some of SOAP 1.2 and HTTP 1.1.  From this it is
apparent that Axis implements more specifications.  The JAX-RPC and
SAAJ specifications are Java-specific.  If you use Axis and write
your code to use this interfaces, you will find it easier in the
future to switch to another Java-based SOAP implementation if you
desire.  Support for WSDL and DIME gives Axis broader
interoperability, and the WSDL support improves programmer
productivity.

If you have an existing Apache SOAP code base and do not have time in
your current project schedule to migrate to Axis, then continuing
with Apache SOAP is fine if you do not need to support the additional
specifications.  Otherwise, you should consider using Axis now.

On 21 Jan 2003 at 12:36, Alf Koegel wrote:

> Hi *!
>
> Please don't hurt me! have patience of job with me!
>
> Do you know a site describing the differences between axis and apache soap?
>
> I'm starting a project, and it seems so, that there's no need of axis. But
> we will see. Otherwise, in my suggestion it should be possible to move to
> axis in the future ( without have many changes in the code / work ).
> Is this suggestion correct?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alf Koegel

Scott Nichol

Re: Axis <-> Apache SOAP

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@scottnichol.com>.
I believe there are summaries on the Apache SOAP and Axis sites that
together do a decent job of showing the differences.

A very brief explanation is that Apache SOAP implements most of SOAP
1.1, SOAP with Attachments and HTTP 1.0.  Axis implements most of
SOAP 1.1, WSDL 1.1, SOAP with Attachments, DIME, JAX-RPC, SAAJ and
HTTP 1.0, as well as some of SOAP 1.2 and HTTP 1.1.  From this it is
apparent that Axis implements more specifications.  The JAX-RPC and
SAAJ specifications are Java-specific.  If you use Axis and write
your code to use this interfaces, you will find it easier in the
future to switch to another Java-based SOAP implementation if you
desire.  Support for WSDL and DIME gives Axis broader
interoperability, and the WSDL support improves programmer
productivity.

If you have an existing Apache SOAP code base and do not have time in
your current project schedule to migrate to Axis, then continuing
with Apache SOAP is fine if you do not need to support the additional
specifications.  Otherwise, you should consider using Axis now.

On 21 Jan 2003 at 12:36, Alf Koegel wrote:

> Hi *!
>
> Please don't hurt me! have patience of job with me!
>
> Do you know a site describing the differences between axis and apache soap?
>
> I'm starting a project, and it seems so, that there's no need of axis. But
> we will see. Otherwise, in my suggestion it should be possible to move to
> axis in the future ( without have many changes in the code / work ).
> Is this suggestion correct?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alf Koegel

Scott Nichol