Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris Purcell <ap...@cjp.us> on 2006/01/12 16:41:11 UTC

[users@httpd] file size limitation?

Is there a maximum file size limitation in Apache where you cannot
download files over 4GB?    I have both an Apache 1.3.29 server and an
Apache 2.2.0 server with the same files on them.  One file is 4.2GB and
the other is 5GB.   When  you view the files in  your browser on the
1.3.29 server, the files are shown as 165MB and 787MB, respectively.   On
the Apache 2.2.0 server, the file sizes are shown correctly, but when you
try to download them, they fail once you reach the 4GB mark of the
download.

I'm running these on a SLES9 server with the reiserfs filesystem, if that
matters any.

Thanks,
Chris

Re: [users@httpd] file size limitation?

Posted by Chris Purcell <ap...@cjp.us>.
> That's likely to be a client limitation - 2.2 will correctly handle
> large files.  What client?  I don't believe any of the browsers
> currently handle large files correctly; modern versions of wget and most
> versions of curl will, however.
>
> joe

Thanks Joe, I believe you are correct.  I was able to download the file
with the Apache 2.2/wget combination, but cannot do anything with any
modern web browsers such as Firefox, Opera, or IE (if you even want to
call IE a "modern" web browser).

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 1/12/06, Chris Purcell <ap...@cjp.us> wrote:
> Is there a maximum file size limitation in Apache where you cannot
> download files over 4GB?    I have both an Apache 1.3.29 server and an
> Apache 2.2.0 server with the same files on them.  One file is 4.2GB and
> the other is 5GB.   When  you view the files in  your browser on the
> 1.3.29 server, the files are shown as 165MB and 787MB, respectively.   On
> the Apache 2.2.0 server, the file sizes are shown correctly, but when you
> try to download them, they fail once you reach the 4GB mark of the
> download.
>
> I'm running these on a SLES9 server with the reiserfs filesystem, if that
> matters any.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I can tell you that there is no
large-file support in 1.3, so you won't have luck there.

Version 2.2 should support this.  One thing to try is "EnableSendfile
Off", since I have heard that on some systems, sendfile has problems
with large files.

Joshua.