Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Michiel Bronswijk <Mi...@oce.com> on 2011/12/21 08:21:08 UTC

FOP and Java 7 results in build problems

Hi all,

I am trying to build FOP from the sources and I run into problems when using
Java 7.
FOP uses Batik for several graphic formats. Batik however uses obsolete sun
graphic classes.
These classes are not available anymore in Java 7 and result in build failures.
For example:

batik\sources\org\apache\batik\ext\awt\image\codec\jpeg\JPEGImageWriter.java:30:
error: package com.sun.image.codec.jpeg does not exist

Are there plans for a release to get Fop (including Batik) Java 7 compliant or
to have a release not dependent on Batik.

Regards,

Michiel Bronswijk.

Re: FOP and Java 7 results in build problems

Posted by Chris Bowditch <bo...@hotmail.com>.
On 21/12/2011 10:57, Michiel Bronswijk wrote:
> Luis Bernardo<lmpmbernardo<at>  gmail.com>  writes:

Hi Michiel,

>> The build problems are with FOP or Batik?
> The build problem itself occurs in Batik (the part in Batik that handles JPEG
> and TIFF files using obsolete Sun classes, that are no longer included in
> Oracle's delivery of Java 7). (So my question is also relevant for Batik, but I
> wanted to know how the development on FOP thinks about this issue since FOP
> included Batik).

We agree that Batik needs to be made compliant with Java 7. However, the
FOP developers don't have the knowledge to do this. I suggest you post
on batik-dev in the first instance to make the Batik developers aware of
this.

Thanks,

Chris

Re: FOP and Java 7 results in build problems

Posted by Michiel Bronswijk <Mi...@oce.com>.

Posted by Luis Bernardo <lm...@gmail.com>.

lbernardo@devbox:~/workspace/apachefop$ javap -verbose -classpath
   #29; //class org/apache/fop/cli/Main$1
  minor version: 0
  major version: 51
  Constant pool:
const #1 = Method	#53.#154;	//  java/lang/Object."<init>":()V
const #2 = String	#155;	//  fop.home

Major version 51 means it was compiled with Java 7.