Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Bob Herrmann <bo...@jadn.com> on 2003/10/24 05:58:12 UTC

Re: New to dev list

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 11:37, jamesmyang3@rogers.com wrote:
> Thanks, Bob. The presentation is good. Does Tomcat have design document? So I can dig deeper to source code level.

I don't believe that it does.   This does seem to be a deficiency.  The
phrase "Use the Source Luke", springs to mind...  You can also peruse
the "documentation" section of the Tomcat site and pick up some things.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/

Perhaps a simple description of how Tomcat gets up and going will help.

The highly abridged version of things goes like this;

1. Some one starts the JavaVM with a bunch of options (usually via the
"startup" script.)

2. A bootstrap thing starts figuring out where things are and loading
some initial classes

3. The bootstrapper uses  the "Digester" to 'execute' the server.xml and
web.xml files.    What is important to understand here is; Tomcat is a
collection of interfaces with some handy "Standard implementations."
When the default server.xml is used, a bunch of 'Standard
implementations' are wired together and started (using some Lifecycle
interfaces to ensure everything starts in the right order.)

So basically, Tomcat is a loose connection of components that implement
interfaces for "Connections to the Network, Session handling, Logging,
Valves, etc.."  You can implement your own versions or use the standard
versions.  To use your own, you only need to put the classes in the
"server/classes" directory and modify the server.xml to use your own
implementation.

Thus understanding how Tomcat works is broken down into understanding
the individual pieces and their interfaces (or contracts) ....

Hopefully this helps.

Cheers,
-bob