Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by iIDC Support <su...@iidc.org> on 2004/09/02 18:07:48 UTC

[users@httpd] ModRewrite for multiple Ips/URLs

I'm attempting to build an intermediary server that will sit in our DMZ and
take redirects from a border firewall and rewrite their HTTP URLs with
HTTPS.

The requirements for opening port 443 in our firewall are different than
they are for port 80, and rarely do we open both ports for any one server.
So, when a user opens a browser and forgets to add the 's' to the protocol
(httpS), or simply types in 'machine.domain.tld', their browser fails, and
they're left thinking that the server is down.

Right now, I'm using the following rewrite, but it will only work for people
on the inside of the firewall (because port 80 is available):

        RewriteEngine on
        RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} ^80$
        RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://%{SERVER_NAME}/$1 [R,L]

What I'd like, is a way to do the same thing with an ACL in the firewall
that will redirect all port 80 requests for specific IPs to this
intermediary for the rewrite.

The question is, if I can get them to create an ACL that works, will a
rewrite like this do the trick..?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..!

Much thanks,

Thomas