Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by gc...@s-und-n.de on 2002/08/09 12:28:43 UTC

Why does Slide maintain its own commons-httpclient?

Hi all,

I understand that jakarta commons-httpclient has its roots in the Slide
project. But I noticed that the slide WebDAV client library of current CVS
maintains its own commons-httpclient that is different to the one of
jakarta commons. That makes it quite difficult to deploy WebDAV clients to
environments that already make use of commons-httpclient.jar.

Is there a reason for maintaining a separate httpclient?
Are there any plans to resynchronize the two?

Thanks
Guido

Re: Why does Slide maintain its own commons-httpclient?

Posted by Michael Smith <ms...@xn.com.au>.
gcasper@s-und-n.de wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I understand that jakarta commons-httpclient has its roots in the Slide
> project. But I noticed that the slide WebDAV client library of current CVS
> maintains its own commons-httpclient that is different to the one of
> jakarta commons. That makes it quite difficult to deploy WebDAV clients to
> environments that already make use of commons-httpclient.jar.
>
> Is there a reason for maintaining a separate httpclient?
> Are there any plans to resynchronize the two?

Basically because the main commons-httpclient didn't maintain API
compatibility, and nobody seemed to want to do the work of keeping it in
sync with commons-httpclient, so we just imported a copy.

If the neccesary updates were done (and kept up to date for future API
changes!) we'd be happy to switch to using the main commons-httpclient.

Michael