Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov> on 2011/01/27 02:14:17 UTC

Why does cassandra stream data when moving tokens?

Sorry if this sounds silly, but I can't get my brain around this one: if all
nodes contain replicas, why does the cluster stream data every time I more
or remove a token? If the data is already there, what needs to be streamed?

Thanks
Maxim

Re: Why does cassandra stream data when moving tokens?

Posted by Robert Coli <rc...@digg.com>.
On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 2:05 AM, aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com> wrote:
> It will help if you can include the output from some of the tools,  e.g.
>
> nodetool ring
> nodetool netstats

It will also help if you include the version of cassandra you are running.

=Rob

Re: Why does cassandra stream data when moving tokens?

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
It will help if you can include the output from some of the tools,  e.g.

nodetool ring
nodetool netstats

Aaron

Posted by buddhasystem <po...@bnl.gov>.
Thanks, I'll look at the configuration again.

In the meantime, I can't "move" the first node in the ring (after I removed
the previous node's token) -- it throws an exception and says data is being
streamed to it -- however, this is not what netstats says! Weirdness
continues...

Posted by "Sadasivam, Srinivasan" <sr...@qualcomm.com>.
Not all nodes have replicas. First of all, the number of replicas is determined by replication_factor which you set when creating the keyspace - and where they go is determined by replica_placement_strategy. Say, if you pick 3, the first copy of your item are placed based on token value of the node and other two replicas on nodes based on replica_placement_strategy.  So when you add a node (thus its token) and decommission a node, it causes rebalance of the data thus streaming. Hope this helps.