Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Merrill Cornish <me...@earthlink.net> on 2003/12/23 21:09:22 UTC

404: File Not Found = Stupidity?

I'm running Tomcat 5.0.16 standalone on Windows XP Pro.  My JSP/servlet
application has been coming along nicely, but perhaps I've become
complacent.

The structure of the application is simple enough: The user starts with
a JSP page and fills in a form.  The form calls a companion servlet to
process it.  That servlet then launches the next JSP page which has its
own servlet to process it, and so on.

Today, I added a new JSP page and processing servlet pair.  The page
works, but clicking on the submit button brings up the 404-Page Not
Found error message. The displayed name of the page not found is the
correct one.  Furthermore:

* The servlet that can't be found is in the same package directory with
all of the other servlets that do work. (Two other servlets in this
directory have already been called before reaching the new JSP/servlet.)

* The page request names are spelled correctly with the same
capitalization.  There are no inadvertent blanks in the names.

* The servlet compiles cleanly.

* The name of the servlet file matches the name of the class it holds.

* Both Internet Explorer and Firebird display the 404 error.

* I've stopped and restarted Tomcat.  I've rebooted Windows.  I've
stopped and restarted the browsers.

* The failing servlet is addressed with exactly the same URL as all of
the servlets that are found except for the actual servlet name at the end.

In everyway I can see, this new, failing servlet is exactly like all of
its brothers, except the browser can't find it.  Any suggestions?

Merrill Cornish

Re: 404: File Not Found = Stupidity?

Posted by Merrill Cornish <me...@earthlink.net>.
[Sound of head pounding on keyboard...]

Yes. I did forget to add the mapping for the new servlet. Mea culpa. I
had even briefly thought about the server.xml and web.xml files--but
then dismissed them as "they are already set up." If I had just taken a
look. . .

Thanks for the kick in the memory.

Merrill

RE: 404: File Not Found = Stupidity?

Posted by Mike Curwen <mi...@gb-im.com>.
Are you using the invoker or do you set up servlet-mappings ? (and if
it's that last one, did you provide a mapping for the new servlet class?
that didn't fall prey to a copy-and-paste error?)

 <snip />