Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Joerg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com> on 2007/11/05 10:28:55 UTC

Re: multiple databases one PM/TX

Hi Erik,

there is one thing that I don't understand about this proposed feature
(which may be just me not seeing the obvious point of course :)

Running 2PC on multiple data sources is handled already by J2EE
implementations, and, as far as I recall, there are also libraries
available that provide a JTA without a full blown J2EE server. Why would
you want to duplicate this already existing and available functionality
in JDO?

Regards,
Jörg

Posted by Joerg von Frantzius <jo...@artnology.com>.
Hi Erik,

OK now I got it, you want to support fields within the same PC class to
be persisted to different datasources, right?

Posted by Eric Samson <er...@xcalia.com>.
Hello Joerg,

I don't think Erik wants to reinvent JTA.
Probably a multi DBS PMF implementation will rely on a JTA TM.
But you also have to cover non transactional data sources.
I think the proposed options are here to cover this.

Best Regards,
....: Eric Samson, Founder & CTO, Xcalia
Service your Data!