Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Alistair Hopkins <al...@berthengron.co.uk> on 2003/03/27 13:27:17 UTC

One thought, one question

I'm building a set of conformance tests for developers to use in a sort of
JUnit-like way and there are a couple of things I wondered if someone else
had dealt with:

1/ Binary result
	Ideally, I'd like to run JMeter in non-GUI mode and simply have a final
result that says PASS (all assertions OK) or FAIL (at least one assertion
fails), in which case the results files would be available for examination
or a GUI run would be used (or, ideally, a nice human-readable file would be
presented). I've tried to use the Tree Result with log errors only, but it
just gives an empty jtl document.  Should I write a new Visualizer, or is
there a better way?

2/ Test plan as a test element
	There are a number of different test plans, but they contain many similar
steps.  How easy would it be to write a test element which says 'include the
test plan nodes in file z', and which will then be loaded from that file
every time rather than become a part of the parent test plan?  This would
make build and maintaining suites of tests a lot easier.  Any pointers on
how to do this?  Is it easy?

Thanks,

Alistair

RE: One thought, one question

Posted by Alistair Hopkins <al...@berthengron.co.uk>.
That's an excellent, very flexible easy solution and I can recommend it.

Thanks.

Al

> 	Ideally, I'd like to run JMeter in non-GUI mode and
> simply have a final result that says PASS (all assertions OK)
> or FAIL (at least one assertion fails), in which case the
> results files would be available for examination or a GUI run
> would be used (or, ideally, a nice human-readable file would
> be presented). I've tried to use the Tree Result with log
> errors only, but it just gives an empty jtl document.  Should
> I write a new Visualizer, or is there a better way?

Not sure if this will do, but it might help you out here...

http://www.programmerplanet.org/ant-jmeter/

Joe

RE: One thought, one question

Posted by Joseph Fifield <jf...@programmerplanet.org>.
> 1/ Binary result
> 	Ideally, I'd like to run JMeter in non-GUI mode and
> simply have a final result that says PASS (all assertions OK)
> or FAIL (at least one assertion fails), in which case the
> results files would be available for examination or a GUI run
> would be used (or, ideally, a nice human-readable file would
> be presented). I've tried to use the Tree Result with log
> errors only, but it just gives an empty jtl document.  Should
> I write a new Visualizer, or is there a better way?

Not sure if this will do, but it might help you out here...

http://www.programmerplanet.org/ant-jmeter/

Joe

Re: One thought, one question

Posted by kc...@360commerce.com.

I think that this is more or less what was requested in defect 18070.  You
may want to add some description and add a vote for it.

"Mike Stover" <ms...@apache.org> wrote on 03/27/2003 10:34:05 AM:

> Thad Smith has written something like that - a controller that gets
> elements from the
> Workbench area and substitutes them into the test plan.  Not exactly what
you are
> looking for, but he had to solve a lot of the thorny issues you would
runinto when
> making that functionality.  He is now a committer and might have some
thoughts on
> your enhancement request. (Might want to write it up in the bug database
as such).

Re: One thought, one question

Posted by Mike Stover <ms...@apache.org>.
Thad Smith has written something like that - a controller that gets elements from the
Workbench area and substitutes them into the test plan.  Not exactly what you are
looking for, but he had to solve a lot of the thorny issues you would run into when
making that functionality.  He is now a committer and might have some thoughts on
your enhancement request. (Might want to write it up in the bug database as such).

-Mike

> 2/ Test plan as a test element
> 	There are a number of different test plans, but they contain many similar
> steps.  How easy would it be to write a test element which says 'include the
> test plan nodes in file z', and which will then be loaded from that file
> every time rather than become a part of the parent test plan?  This would
> make build and maintaining suites of tests a lot easier.  Any pointers on
> how to do this?  Is it easy?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alistair

Michael Stover