Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Joseph Leong <jo...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/22 19:16:22 UTC

Interested in Contributing

I'm really interested in contributing to this project, and i saw Jira
GERONIMO-2251 was available.  Seems like a good one to get my feet wet.  I'm
not too familiar with what the etiquette is in the geronimo community... is
it free game for me to take a stab at it?

Thanks,
Joseph Leong

Re: Interested in Contributing

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Oct 22, 2007, at 10:16 AM, Joseph Leong wrote:

> I'm really interested in contributing to this project, and i saw
> Jira GERONIMO-2251 was available.  Seems like a good one to get my
> feet wet.  I'm not too familiar with what the etiquette is in the
> geronimo community... is it free game for me to take a stab at it?

Sure, however since the plan is to eliminate the sh/bat scripts in
favor of gshell it would be much more useful to figure out how to
implement the functionality in gshell.  There are also a lot of other
gshell enhancements that should be very easy once you figure out
where to do them such as running geronimo under a debugger but so far
no one has had a minute to actually do them so this could be an
introduction to putting in some very useful enhancements.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Viet Nguyen <vh...@gmail.com>.
Hey Joe,

You can contribute all you want. Just make sure that jira is actually still
valid though, since it was opened a while back.

Regards,
Viet

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 10/22/07, Joseph Leong <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm really interested in contributing to this project, and i saw Jira
> GERONIMO-2251 was available.  Seems like a good one to get my feet wet.  I'm
> not too familiar with what the etiquette is in the geronimo community... is
> it free game for me to take a stab at it?

Welcome! Attach a patch when you're done so it can get committed. Do
you have a jira account? When you're in geronimo-contributors you can
assign issues to yourself and others will know it's worked on.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Interested in Contributing

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On 10/22/07, Joseph Leong <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for all the pointers, I'll see what i can do. I may go with working
> on that implementation and more into gshell since David said sh/bat scripts
> will be phased out.  Also my Jira ID: jleong

You're in geronimo-contributor group so you should be able to assign
the issue to yourself. Report troubles as soon as they surface along
the way.

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: Interested in Contributing

Posted by Joseph Leong <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jay McHugh <jd...@sbcglobal.net>.
Welcome Joseph,

If you see a Jira that you are interested in and it is not assigned - you can just email the list to let them know that you would like to work on it.

If you see one that is assigned but no recent work appears to have been done on it then you could email the list to ask whether or not it is being worked on and offer help.

I think that I would probably skip this particular Jira (someone else may disagree) only because there is very little (or no) active work being done on version 1.

Versions 2.0.x and trunk (version 2.1.x) are where most of the attention is being placed.

Also, send in your Jira ID so that you can be set up to have Jiras assigned to you.

Jay

Joseph Leong <jo...@gmail.com> wrote: I'm really interested in contributing to this project, and i saw Jira GERONIMO-2251 was available.  Seems like a good one to get my feet wet.  I'm not too familiar with what the etiquette is in the geronimo community... is it free game for me to take a stab at it?

Thanks,
Joseph Leong