Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jimmy Spam <sp...@pobladores.com> on 2009/11/26 10:03:06 UTC

Use java 1.5 apps with tomcat 6

Hi!

I'm new in this mailing list, my english is a bit poor, so I can't extend so much with my presentation, hehe :-)

I have a doubt since I'm using Tomcat 6. I think tomcat 6 need jre 1.6 for running itself, but, Can I configure it to use jre 1.5 or 1.6 for each application?

I have applications wich uses java 1.5 and other wich uses java 1.6, but I have only a tomcat 6 server installed, so I want know If I can use this tomcat for running all my apps or need another instance of tomcat 5.5 for applications wich need java 1.5.

Regards,
Spamis

Re: Use java 1.5 apps with tomcat 6

Posted by Tobias Crefeld <tc...@cataneo.eu>.
Am Thu, 26 Nov 2009 10:54:08 +0100
schrieb Jimmy Spam <sp...@pobladores.com>:

> By default, system is using jre1.6 and If I uninstall it, tomcat 6
> doesn't work, so How can do for that tomcat use jre1.5 without crash?

Please have a look at the beginning of the catalina.sh of your
Tomcat-installation. There is a brief documentation how to set the
intended JVM. If Opensuse is using another script to start Tomcat you
will have to check if there is a setting of the environment variable
JAVA_HOME.

Basically you will have to set the variable JAVA_HOME
to "/usr/java/latest", "/usr/java/jdk1.6.0_17" or
"/usr/java/jre1.5.x_y" or where-ever the bin-directory of your JVM is.
You can have dozens of different JVM under /usr/java/ (typical place
for JDKs under Linux) installed. The selection happens through a
"JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/latest", etc..

Usually it shouldn't be necessary to export this variable as long as
catalina.sh and the environment variable setting happens in the same
process. This way the impact for the rest of the OS is kept to a
minimum.

RU,
 Tobias.

Re: Use java 1.5 apps with tomcat 6

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Use java 1.5 apps with tomcat 6

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 26/11/2009 10:47, Jimmy Spam wrote:
> I'm using opensuse official package. Maybe I should try the official
> tomcat build and test it.
>
> The programmers says that they need jre 1.5 since his apps doesn't have
> tested on jre 1.6. Our programmers are dinosaurs. If they could, they
> continue using cobol.

Well, in that case it's up to you as to whether you risk 1.6 or not.

Members of this list usually recommend installing Tomcat from an
apache.org download because we can't keep track of where all the
different linux variants distribute parts of the server around the OS.

The Tomcat Documentation is comprehensive:

  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/setup.html

there's also the README file in the download itself.

If you are having trouble after reading these, get back to us explaining
what the problem is and what you've already tried.

Posted by Jimmy Spam <sp...@pobladores.com>.

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Jimmy Spam <sp...@pobladores.com>.
I understand.