Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2016/09/05 14:39:05 UTC

[DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 RC1

This is the discussion thread.

Thanks,
Alex Harui

AW: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Harbs,

those errors are normal. I am getting them in every normal build ... they are just "Warnings" [:(]

Must be something else.

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Tynjala <jo...@gmail.com>.
> export AIR_HOME=/Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/
frameworks/AIRSDK_Compiler

It's probably a good idea to point to the version of the AIR SDK without a
compiler. You don't want conflicts with our compiler.

- Josh

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
The Ant package for Falcon bundles the flex-typedefs repo and calls the
Ant scripts within.  Those scripts download third-party
typedefs/externs/sources.

It isn't obvious how Harbs is getting the error he is seeing.  It could be
something wrong with the Git apply of the patches, or maybe FALCONJX_HOME
or FLEXJS_TYPEDEFS_HOME environment variables is set to something.  Those
environment variables should not be set when running the approval script.
The approval scripts attempt to be self-contained and download all
dependencies into sibling folders.

HTH,
-Alex

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Harbs,

To: /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/ApproveFalcon/apache-flex-falconjx-0.7.0-src/flex-typedefs/createjs/target/downloads/tween-0.6.2.zip

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.

To: /Users/harbs/Documents/ApacheFlex/ApproveFalcon/apache-flex-falconjx-0.7.0-src/flex-typedefs/createjs/target/downloads/tween-0.6.2.zip

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> For now I would just claim that the Ant release isn't intended on being built with Maven untill we have the first binaries for jburg-types and build-tools out the door.

Fair enough as long as work works that enough to compile the source package and vote.

Thanks,
Justin

AW: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Justin,

I haven't tested the Artifacts the Ant release produces for its buildability with Ant. I guess I would not expect it to (but be happy if it did), I'll give that a try right away as this doesn't require the huge setup of the Ant build.

Actually you probably would have to run 5 builds in exatly this order to get everything to pass:

1. compiler-jburg-types:1.0.0

2. compiler-build-tools:1.0.0

3. compiler:0.7.0

4. flexjs-typedefs:0.7.0

5. flex-asjs:0.7.0

This will only be needed as long as we don't have a version of the first two out in the wild. I would currently expect the versions of the first two to be 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT, so building them first will probably not bring the solution to build problems in general. Alternatively the staging repo could be added to the repo-list. Then maven would download those artifacts from the ASF repo and build the rest the normal way.

Ahhh yes ... and another thing I noticed when performing the release is that I removed the "compiler" and "utils" profile in the maven build as this was causing problems with the release. In order to do what the utils profile did, just go into the compiler-jburg-types and compiler-build-tools directory and to a "mvn clean install" ... but as I stated earlier, this will produce "1.1.0-SNAPSHOT" versions.

For now I would just claim that the Ant release isn't intended on being built with Maven untill we have the first binaries for jburg-types and build-tools out the door.

The Mavenizer should automatically kick in to download and deploy the playerglobal if your Maven version is 3.3.1 or greater. I didn't pick the 20 for any reason. I think it was the default in some of the Ant scripts. I also thought that by using an older version, the build will also work for older Flash versions. As we aren't using features of new versions (not that I know of), I thought this is ok.

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

It it possible to test the maven build with this release?

When running mvn I get this error:
Failure to find org.apache.flex.flexjs.compiler:compiler-jburg-types:jar:1.0.0 in https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/releases

Which makes sense as it’s not released yet.

Thanks,
Justin

AW: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Alex,

bombs away ... :-)

So this is the first time we released maven artifacts of a complete Flex SDK ... I'll grab a beer on that after my talk tomorrow. I really hope I will have people attending ... it's the time-slot at 11:45 AM so I bet a lot of people will be on their way to the lunch location. Keep your fingers crossed.

Glad I don't have to update my slides before going to sleep :-)

Good night all.

Chris

________________________________
Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Chris,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
The Maven release-build usually produces 3 4 archives for each Maven module:

1) The Jar itself

2) Sources Jar containing the sources and resources of the module but in a structure that matches that of the classes in the normal jar (This is used by IntelliJ and Eclipse to auto-download and display the sources of thirdparty libs)

3) JavaDoc containing the JavaDocs of the module

4) A sources-release zip which is a zipped up version of the module itself. This should be buildable if all the dependencies are available.

Chris

________________________________

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 9/6/16, 8:11 AM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> The included files are patch files, not source files. I don't think
>>there
>> will be confusion that the patch files are copies of the source and that
>> folks will attempt to modify the patch files in order modify future
>> releases of CreateJS itself.
>
>That’s not the issue here. I agree that patch file itself would be Apache
>licensed. The issue is the patch file removes the MIT copyright and
>license header from 3rd party files i.e. when it is applied.

And, IMO, the result is not 3rd party source.  I do not believe it will be
confused with CreateJS source either as the externs format is really
stubbed-out APIs.  It is not a port of existing functionality.

-Alex

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Well, this debate is in the archives, but I will attempt to explain again:

The included files are patch files, not source files.  I don't think there
will be confusion that the patch files are copies of the source and that
folks will attempt to modify the patch files in order modify future
releases of CreateJS itself.

AIUI, folks creating a derivative work get to own the derivative work.
The patch file describes the derivation.

If it mattered that words from originally written by someone else ending
up in your derivation meant that you didn't own the derivation, then it
would be a pretty sad world in open source.  It would mean that most folks
wouldn't own patches they think they own, since it is hard to contribute
small changes without mentioning words already in the source code.

In sum, this is not source, so [1] does not apply.

Thanks,
-Alex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
To add my 5ct to the discussion.

I don't quite understand, why we have to remove the old header anyway ... shouldn't it be possible to add the Apache header (would sort of be both in there) ... the Patch file itself should have an Apache Header, I think. But the resulting file shouldn't have the old header removed.

Chris

________________________________
> I looked over the artifacts and noticed that the flexjs-maven-plugin
> sources are not in the source package.  However, it appears the
> flexjs-maven-plugin sources are in the source.jar for flexjs-maven-plugin,
> so I think we can just consider that source.jar as one of the artefacts.

You might want to add the links to the missing source code in the vote thread, I’m not sure we could release these extra bits without those sources have been looked by the PMC and voted on if they are missing from the current source release.

> BTW, I am thinking that if we have a majority vote by my Wednesday

When you have time would you mind responding with your thoughts to the outstanding patch file issue (3rd party headers being removed), that seems reasonably serious to me.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Discuss Release Apache Flex FalconJX 0.7.0 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I’ve brought this up before and still concerned about the tweenjs [1] and easels [2] patch files. These patch files are removing the copyright and MIT license headers from 3rd party files. AFAIKS this would not be in line with ASF policy on 3rd party headers. See points 1 and 2 of [3].

Thanks,
Justin

1. ./flex-typedefs/createjs/src/main/patch/tweenjs.patch
2. ./flex-typedefs/createjs/src/main/patch/easeljs.patch
3. http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#3party