Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Winslow <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2005/02/02 17:52:17 UTC

JNDI resources different between 5.0 and 5.5?

Hi, I'm trying to upgrade from 5.0.28 to 5.5.4.  I
have a java bean resource that no longer works in
5.5.4.  Apparently the resource isn't being found.  My
code for looking up the resources is:

 public static Manager getManager()
 {
	try
	{
		Context initCtx = new InitialContext();
		Context envCtx = (Context)
initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env");
		Manager manager = (Manager)
envCtx.lookup("bean/MyManager"); // fails here on
lookup.
		return manager;
	}
	catch (Exception e)
	{
		e.printStackTrace();
		return null;
	}
 }

In server.xml:

<Resourcource name="bean/MyManager" auth="Container"
type="MXForm.Manager"/>

I didn't have a web.xml entry in 5.0, but I added one
after reading the docs.
In web.xml:
<resource-env-ref>
  <Description>
    Manager resource.
  </Description>
  <resource-env-ref-name>
    bean/MyManager
  </resource-env-ref-name>
  <resource-env-ref-type>
    MXForm.Manager
  </resource-env-ref-type>
</resource-env-ref>

Thanks.

Re: JNDI resources different between 5.0 and 5.5?

Posted by Mark Winslow <ma...@yahoo.com>.
OK, I think I found the problem.  You need to put in
the resource factory in the context section which I
didn't do.  I have one question about the docs,
though.  The docs seem to indicate that a new instance
of the bean will be created with every call to lookup.
This is not the behavior that I am noticing.  I
actually want a single instance of the bean that spans
all sessions which is the behavior as I see it, but
the docs seem to indicate otherwise.

"The resource factory will create a new instance of
the appropriate bean class every time a lookup() for
this entry is made."

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html

<Context ...>
  <Resource name="bean/MyBeanFactory" auth="Container"
            type="com.mycompany.MyBean"

factory="org.apache.naming.factory.BeanFactory"
            bar="23"/>
</Context>