Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com> on 2002/05/21 22:13:48 UTC

Command Line Interface

I have just read a document[1] that details the recommended approach
to writing Java command lines.  I know that it is unlikely that ant will
change its command line interface but I was wondering what the general
approach to *recommended* standards are.  I know that just because
something is recommended it is not necessarily correct so please don't
get zealous about who has recommended this :-)

Cheers,
-John K

[1]
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/attributes/_posix.html

Re: Command Line Interface

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 22 May 2002 06:13, John Keyes wrote:
> I have just read a document[1] that details the recommended approach
> to writing Java command lines.  I know that it is unlikely that ant will
> change its command line interface but I was wondering what the general
> approach to *recommended* standards are.

Itend to use the GNU standards. This basically consists of posix + extensions.
ie allows long options (ala --help), allows consecutive short options (ie
-abc == -a -b -c) and has a standard set of names to use. See

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards_18.html

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Command Line Interface

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> I have just read a document[1] that details the recommended approach
> to writing Java command lines.  I know that it is unlikely that ant will
> change its command line interface but I was wondering what the general
> approach to *recommended* standards are.  I know that just because
> something is recommended it is not necessarily correct so please don't
> get zealous about who has recommended this :-)
>
> Cheers,
> -John K
>
> [1]
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/essential/attributes/_posix.html

the trouble with the posix standard is that it works only if all attributes
are one letter long. go to two letters and the whole -abcd coalescing game
falls flat on its face.

So we choose to follow the other path, that of verbose parameters,
although -f is there for makefile consistency