Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by "Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems)" <Lu...@dhs.wisconsin.gov> on 2018/07/11 18:09:16 UTC

SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?

Hello, we're trying to get SOLR 7.2.1 running on SLES 11 but we hit issues with BASH 3 and the ${distro_string,,} at the beginning of the install_solr_service.sh.  We're just trying to get this upgraded without tossing out the old DB serves so we can get the content team happy and move on to redesigning the environment.  We're wondering if anyone else has hit this, and if they have any lessons learned.

As we see it, there's a few options:

1.        Install OpenSUSE BASH 4, maybe in /opt

2.       Update the lowercase method to something from BASH 3 ( pipe to tr?)

3.       Do this by hand without the install_solr_service.sh

4.       Build new Redhat servers, migrate the DB and nuke these things.

Does anyone have any experience/suggestions here?  Are there any gotchas for SOLR 7.2.1 in SLES 11?

NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain confidential information. Use and further disclosure of the information by the recipient must be consistent with applicable laws, regulations and agreements. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender; delete the email; and do not use, disclose or store the information it contains.

Re: SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/19/2018 2:52 PM, Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems) wrote:
> Welp, that didn't go spectacularly.  All the OpenSuSE SLES 11 downloads are RPM, both source and compiled.  Non-relocatable.  I did attempt to rebuild, but it choked on the following dependencies:
>
> audit-devel is needed by bash-4.3-286.1.x86_64
>         fdupes is needed by bash-4.3-286.1.x86_64
>         patchutils is needed by bash-4.3-286.1.x86_64
>
> If I can find a repository for them I can throw that into Zypper, but thus far I've failed.  Anyone out there have any suggestions?

If it were me in that situation, I would download the source code of the
latest stable version (4.4.18 as I write this) from gnu directly:

http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/

Then I would compile it and install it into /usr/local, which is where
it should install by default.  You will naturally need development stuff
including a C compiler.  I do not know whether there are any development
dependencies that bash requires.

If SLES includes /usr/local/bin in the path by default, that might be
all you need.  But you might need to adjust the first line of each Solr
script to explicitly point at the new shell location.

Thanks,
Shawn

RE: SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?

Thanks for the head's up on that bug, it looks like we'll be doing some script editing either way.  I think 1 is the most popular with the team at this point, but I'll take the temperature and see how people feel.

Posted by "Lichte, Lucas R - DHS (Tek Systems)" <Lu...@dhs.wisconsin.gov>.

Re: SOLR 7.2.1 on SLES 11?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.