Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Matthew Holt <mh...@redhat.com> on 2006/07/11 22:51:21 UTC

Re: Adddays confusion - easy question for the experts

Honda-Search Administrator wrote:
> Reader's Digest version:
> How can I ensure that nutch only crawls the urls I inject into the
> fetchlist and not recrawl the entire webdb?
> Can anyone explain to me (in simple terms) exactly what adddays does?
>
> Long version:
> My setup is simple.  I crawl a number of internet forums.  This
> requires me to scan new posts every night to stay on top of things.
>
> I crawled all of the older posts on these forums a while ago, and now
> have to just worry about newer posts.  I have written a small script
> that injects the pages that have changed or the new pages each night.
>
> When I run the recrawl script, I only want to crawl the pages that are
> injected into the fetchlist (via bin/nutch inject).  I have also
> changed the default nutch recrawl time interval (normally 30 days)  to
> a VERY large number to ensure that nutch will not recrawl old pages
> for a very long time.
>
> Anyway, back to my original question.
>
> i recrawled today hoping that nutch would ONLY recrawl the 3000
> documents I injected (via bin/nutch inject).  I used depth of 1 and
> left the adddays parameter blank (because I really can't get a clear
> idea of what it does). Depth of 1 is used because I only want to crawl
> the URLs I have injected into the fetchlist and not have nutch go
> crazy on other domains, documents, etc.  Using the regex-urlfilter I
> have also ensured that it will only crawl the domains I want it to crawl.
>
> So my command looks something like this:
>
> /home/nutch/recrawl.sh /home/nutch/database 1
>
> my recrawl script can be seen here:
> http://www.honda-search.com/script.html
>
> Much to my surprised Nutch is recrawling EVERY document in my webdb
> (plus, I assume, the newly injected documents).  Is this because the
> adddays variable is left blank?  Should I set the addays variable
> really high?  How can I ensure that it only crawls the urls that are
> injected?
>
> Can anyone explain what adddays does (in easy to understand terms?)
> The wiki isn't very clear for a newbie like myself.

I was looking for similar info. The adddays option advances the clock
however many days you specify. The default for page reindexing is 30
days, so every 30 days the page will expire and nutch will reindex it.
However, if you pass the param -adddays 31, it will advance the clock 31
days and cause every page to be reindexed.

If you pass the param -adddays 27 and you have the default reindexing
set to be 30 days, nutch will reindex all pages older than 3 days.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
  Matt

Re: Adddays confusion - easy question for the experts

Posted by Chris Newton <ne...@radian6.com>.
On the original question...  I'm trying to do something similar, using
nutch... (crawl a list of sites... and just my list). ie: I dont want a
predefined refetch time, I don't want links on the pages I've crawled to be
crawled next time...  just my injected URLs please and thanks.  Anyone know
if this is possible in nutch?

chris

--
Chris Newton,
CTO Radian6, www.radian6.com

Re: Adddays confusion - easy question for the experts

Posted by Honda-Search Administrator <ad...@honda-search.com>.

Re[2]: Adddays confusion - easy question for the experts

Posted by Dima Mazmanov <nu...@proservice.ge>.
Hi,Matthew.

Could you please show your reindex script once again?

 Dima                          mailto:nuther@proservice.ge