Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by "Khrishnamurthy, Sankar" <sa...@attws.com> on 2003/08/29 19:11:16 UTC

[properties]Why .properties instead of XML?

Hi,
Just made a successful build of Geronimo - albeit with
-Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true..

Noted that some of the .conf files are XML files while there are still
some .properties file?  What is the rationale behind this?  Why not use
.properties files or XML files uniformly for every configuration file?

Also, why name some XML files as .conf files?  Can't they be named .xml
to easily identify them as XML files?  May be like {some-name}-conf.xml?
Or put all configuration files under a conf directory with XML
extension?
--
Sankar

Re: [properties]Why .properties instead of XML?

Posted by Stefan Schuster <za...@gmx.net>.
Hi,

On Fri, 2003-08-29 at 19:11, Khrishnamurthy, Sankar wrote:
> Hi,
> Just made a successful build of Geronimo - albeit with
> -Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true..
>
> Noted that some of the .conf files are XML files while there are still
> some .properties file?  What is the rationale behind this?  Why not use
> .properties files or XML files uniformly for every configuration file?
>
> Also, why name some XML files as .conf files?  Can't they be named .xml
> to easily identify them as XML files?  May be like {some-name}-conf.xml?
> Or put all configuration files under a conf directory with XML
> extension?
> --
> Sankar

I fully support this idea, because from an user's point
of view, I know how painfull it can be if you are looking
for an configuration in all the xml files, and after
hours you discover the switch in properties file.

Though, maybe property files are faster (for startup ?)?

--

Stefan

Re: [properties]Why .properties instead of XML?

Posted by Bill de hÓra <bi...@dehora.net>.
Khrishnamurthy, Sankar wrote:

> Noted that some of the .conf files are XML files while there are still
> some .properties file?  What is the rationale behind this?  Why not use
> .properties files or XML files uniformly for every configuration file?

I suppose because some people/tools don't need a nested structure;
where key-values are sufficient .properties.

Bill de hÓra

Re: [properties]Why .properties instead of XML?

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Jason Dillon wrote:

>> Also, why name some XML files as .conf files?  Can't they be named .xml
>> to easily identify them as XML files?  May be like {some-name}-conf.xml?
>> Or put all configuration files under a conf directory with XML
>> extension?
>
> Why does it matter?  There are XML Schema files which have an .xsd
> extension.  They are xml files, but I would not suggest using .xml over
> .xsd.

One semi-common convention is to name them .xconf to identify them as XML
Configuration files.  Also there is .xlog (XML Log configuration file).

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Hanging testcases [was Re: [properties]Why .properties instead of XML?]

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <me...@daniel.stefan.haischt.name>.
Aaron Mulder wrote:

[...]
> 	But WRT the hostname, what I meant was that if your machine is
> called "workstation" you should be able to "ping workstation", and if that
> doesn't work, add an entry to /etc/hosts so that "ping workstation" hits
> 127.0.0.1.  It's a little chancy on Windows because I think Windows ping
> will resolve and use SMB names whereas Java won't (though it also may be
> different with/without WINS) -- I'm not sure how to do a good test on
> Windows.

if you want to lookup DNS names you must use nslookup on windows and
not ping. if you are using the ping comand, your workstation name
will always be resolved as 10.0.0.1. at least if using the ping
comand try using a FDQN (your workstation name + your domain name).

if you still want to use the more simple syntax of ...

  -> ping [my workstation name]

... you can try to add the following entry to ...

  -> $WINDIR\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

------8<-----------8<----------8<------------8<-----------
192.168.120.10	foo.bar.com	foo
192.168.120.10	foo.bar.com.
# ^^^^^^^^^^^^  ^^^^^^^^^^^^    ^^^^
#      (1)           (2)         (3)
#
# 1) your IP address.
# 2) your workstation- + domainname.
# 3) your workstation name.

------>8----------->8---------->8------------>8-----------

i've tested all of the above examples on my w2k machine.

regards

daniel s. haischt

Re: Hanging testcases [was Re: [properties]Why .properties instead of XML?]

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003, Siva wrote:
>       Am using a windows mac with 1.4.0_01 jdk.Any
> clues?

	That's a fairly unique platform!  Am afraid I don't have any
advice to give on it.

	But WRT the hostname, what I meant was that if your machine is
called "workstation" you should be able to "ping workstation", and if that
doesn't work, add an entry to /etc/hosts so that "ping workstation" hits
127.0.0.1.  It's a little chancy on Windows because I think Windows ping
will resolve and use SMB names whereas Java won't (though it also may be
different with/without WINS) -- I'm not sure how to do a good test on
Windows.

Aaron

Hanging testcases [was Re: [properties]Why .properties instead of XML?]

Posted by Siva <si...@sivasundaram.com>.
Aaron,
    I am able to ping both by localhost and 127.0.0.1
The entries are defined already in the hosts.

  When i traced,i found that it waits indefinitely
when the test case tries to teardown by calling
"server.dispose()"

      Am using a windows mac with 1.4.0_01 jdk.Any
clues?

Siva

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.

Posted by Siva <si...@sivasundaram.com>.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@coredevelopers.net>.
> Just made a successful build of Geronimo - albeit with
> -Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true..

Which tests failed?

> Noted that some of the .conf files are XML files while there are still
> some .properties file?  What is the rationale behind this?  Why not use
> .properties files or XML files uniformly for every configuration file?

Because some of the tools we are using use xml and others user
properties.

> Also, why name some XML files as .conf files?  Can't they be named .xml
> to easily identify them as XML files?  May be like
> {some-name}-conf.xml?
> Or put all configuration files under a conf directory with XML
> extension?

Why does it matter?  There are XML Schema files which have an .xsd
extension.  They are xml files, but I would not suggest using .xml over
.xsd.

--jason