Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Andrés de la Peña <ad...@apache.org> on 2022/11/10 12:20:46 UTC

Naming conventions for CQL native functions

It seems we don't have a clear convention on how to name CQL native
functions.

Most native functions are named all lower case, without underscore nor
hyphen to separate words. That's the case, for example, of "intasblob" or
"blobasint".

We also have some functions using camel case, as in "castAsInt" or
"castAsTimestamp". Note that the came cased names require quoting due to
CQL's case insensitivity.

Differently to CQL native functions, system keyspaces, tables and columns
consistently use snake case. For example, we have "system_schema",
"dropped_columns", "default_time_to_live".

I think it would be good to adopt a convention on how to name CQL native
functions, at least the new ones. IMO camel case would make sense because
it plays well with CQL's case insensitivity, it makes long names easier to
read and it's consistent with the names used for most other things.

For example, in CASSANDRA-17811 I'm working on a set of functions to do
within-collection operations, which would be named "map_keys",
"map_values", "collection_min", "collection_max", "collection_sum",
"collection_count", etc. Also, CEP-20 will add a set of functions that
would be named "mask_null", "mask_default", "mask_replace", "mask_inner",
"mask_outer", "mask_hash", etc.

As for the already existing functions, we could either let them be or add
snake case aliases for them, so for example we'd have both "castAsInt" and
"cast_as_int", at least for a time.

What do you think?

Re: Naming conventions for CQL native functions

Posted by Berenguer Blasi <be...@gmail.com>.
+1 to consolidating on one option and aliasing where needed. Avoiding
camel-case to spare the user the quoting seems also like a good idea to me.

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.
+1  from me too on camel case and the aliases for compatibility

Posted by Andrés de la Peña <ad...@apache.org>.
Thanks for the feedback. Adopting snake case and using aliases seems pretty
uncontroversial so far. I have created CASSANDRA-18037
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-18037> for doing it.

Posted by Jeremy Hanna <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Francisco Guerrero <fr...@apache.org>.
+1 (nb) as well

Posted by Caleb Rackliffe <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com>.
Oh, I meant snake, yes. I need a coffee 😀

На четвъртък, 10 ноември 2022 г. Andrés de la Peña <ad...@apache.org>
написа:

Posted by Andrés de la Peña <ad...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.