Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Michael Brennock <mb...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/05 17:00:19 UTC

Re: Newbie Looking for Help with a Crashing Artemis Server

Thanks for the tip! I confess it took me much longer than I hoped to get a
word with our sysadmim because they were crazy busy. they did give me some
promising information though!

The sysadmim affirmed that any process that runs in a terminal, like
Artemis for example, will be shut down when the terminal is session is shut
down. I ran a test last night after following their instructions: run
Artemis like this to get it to run in the background:

./Artemis run $

Admittedly, 16 hours is twice as many hours as 8, but it still just shut
down with the same lack of apparently useful information from artemis.log,
from audit.log, or from the application that is using Artemis as a message
broker.

I have two questions:

1. Is there any way to make sure a Java process runs indefinitely on a unix
(AIX) environment that I should know about?
2. Is it possible to automatically restart Artemis from within a shell
script, or some such? I'd consider embedding Artemis into the application
itself to control Artemis, but my marching orders are to find a way to get
the application to interface with a standalone message queue if possible.

I appreciate your help so far everyone!

Michael

Posted by Michael Brennock <mb...@gmail.com>.
Ah, thanks for the clarification! I will try using artmeis-service start
like you suggested. I will also talk with the sysadmim about the second
method you suggested.

To clarify, I have an existing Java application that was starting apache
ActiveMQ as an embedded process. I was asked to replace ActiveMQ with
Artemis. Before we can perform an in-place upgrade to Artemis, the
stakeholders want us to run a performance test with a standalone Artemis
server connected to the application, to see if it might be worth the
effort. I was able to disable the code that started the embedded message
queue and redirect it to the standalone Artemis server.

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.