Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> on 2000/11/14 10:16:08 UTC

Removal of deprecated tasks

I am planning the removal of the tasks which were deprecated in ant 1.2
such as deltree, copydir, etc.

Does anyone see any issues whith this?

Conor

RE: Removal of deprecated tasks

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>.
Craig,

No sweat. The ant "tradition" has been to deprecate a feature in one release
and remove it by the next. My motivation was to keep the baggage down, going
forward. It is not a big deal, however.

Conor
--
Conor MacNeill
conor@cortexebusiness.com.au

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <du...@x180.net>.
On 11/15/00 9:36 PM, "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>
wrote:

> I'm not an Ant developer (just a user when building Tomcat) so my vote doesn't
> really mean anything ... but please do not do this!
>
> We already know that 2.0 will likely (hah -- assume it's an ironclad certainty
> :-) break existing build files.  Given that, would it be such a tremendous
> problem to let current build files work through the 1.x family? That way, we
> will only have one more MUST change instead of two.

Actually, I'd support that -1 as well now that I think about it. One lump of
pain would be better.

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()

Re: Removal of deprecated tasks

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> wrote:
>
> > I am planning the removal of the tasks which were deprecated in ant
> > 1.2 such as deltree, copydir, etc.
>
> I was more or less thinking about keeping them even in Ant 1.3 (and
> deprecate some other things on the way as well) and remove them when
> switching to Ant2 - that way we wouldn't break 1.2 buildfiles with 1.3.
>
> This is not a -1, more a +0 or something.

I'm not an Ant developer (just a user when building Tomcat) so my vote
doesn't really mean anything ... but please do not do this!

We already know that 2.0 will likely (hah -- assume it's an ironclad
certainty :-) break existing build files.  Given that, would it be such
tremendous problem to let current build files work through the 1.x
family?
That way, we will only have one more MUST change instead of two.

> Stefan

Craig McClanahan

Re: Removal of deprecated tasks

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.