Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by BC...@MICROS.COM on 2001/08/06 21:23:42 UTC

Can 2 instances of JAMES share the same database?

Hi,

We are thinking of using JAMES to handle SMTP traffic on a messaging server,
but would like to be able to have it running on two machines for redundancy
(using a hardware load balancer).  If I configure it to save it's user info
and message stores in an Oracle database, does anyone know if there are any
issues with both instances accessing the database at the same time?

Thanks,
  Bruce

Re: Can 2 instances of JAMES share the same database?

Posted by Thomas Jachmann <ho...@gmx.de>.
If you set up all repositories to work on the database except for the spool
repository, which should go to the file system or to separate databases for
each instance of James, it should actually work. Or am I wrong?

Cheers,
Thomas
Posted by Oki DZ <ok...@pindad.com>.
On Mon, 6 Aug 2001, Serge Knystautas wrote:

> There's a problem with the spool managers as locks are handled within each
> given instance.  This means it's possible that a message could arrive in the
> spool repository, and both mail engines would try to process it.  Aside from
> this locking issue, I think things would be fine.

And due to the locking issue, you may have the messages get sent twice.

Oki

Re: Can 2 instances of JAMES share the same database?