Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Paul Russell <pa...@qflow.com> on 2019/08/14 17:46:17 UTC

SOLR / Zookeeper Compatibility

ALCON,

We have been asked by our customer to not install Zookeeper V3.4.x for use
with the SOLR cluster. Currently we have a 3 node SOLR V6.6.0 cluster using
zookeeper V3.4.11.

The customer identified several stig related issues with 3.4.x
(CVE-2016-5017, CVE-2017-5637, and CVE 2019-0201.

We have staged SOLR 6.x and 7.x environments with ZK V3.5.5 as requested and
it does not appear to work. If we back off to ZK 3.4.x it works fine.

It also appears that SOLR V8.x is currently packaged with ZK V3.4.14.

Are there known solutions to the issues with ZK V3.5.5 and SOLR?

Thanks for your help

Paul Russell

www.qflow.com

Re: SOLR / Zookeeper Compatibility

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 8/14/2019 11:46 AM, Paul Russell wrote:
> We have staged SOLR 6.x and 7.x environments with ZK V3.5.5 as requested and
> it does not appear to work. If we back off to ZK 3.4.x it works fine.

The ZK project has documentation about backward compatibility:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/ReleaseManagement

This says that 3.4.x and 3.5.x should be compatible.

There may be configuration changes required to get them working.  When
we upgraded ZK to 3.5.5 in Solr (which was done with SOLR-8346 and
released in version 8.2.0), we found that running Solr against a 3.5.5
server required adding this line to the ZK server config:

4lw.commands.whitelist=mntr,conf,ruok

When you say that it doesn't work, can you tell us EXACTLY what doesn't
work?  Ideally, you'll be able to let us know what errors are being logged.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: SOLR / Zookeeper Compatibility

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/10/2020 5:14 AM, mithunseal wrote:
> I am new to this SOLR-ZOOKEEPER. I am not able to understand the
> compatibility thing. For example, I am using SOLR 7.5.0 which uses ZK
> 3.4.11. So SOLR 7.5.0 will not work with ZK 3.4.10?
>
> Can someone please confirm this?

According to what the ZooKeeper project has published regarding
compatibility, Solr 7.5.0 (with ZK client version 3.4.11) should work
with ZK servers from 3.3.0 to the latest 3.5.x, which is currently
3.5.8.  Using Solr 7.5.0 with ZK servers running version 3.6.x *might*
work, but there is no guarantee.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ZOOKEEPER/ReleaseManagement

And that is assuming that the newer version does not use any
capabilities that did not exist in the older version.  For instance, if
you want to have a dynamic server ensemble, all ZK versions must be
3.5.x or newer, because that capability did not exist in 3.4.x.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: SOLR / Zookeeper Compatibility

Posted by mithunseal <mi...@gmail.com>.
I am new to this SOLR-ZOOKEEPER. I am not able to understand the
compatibility thing. For example, I am using SOLR 7.5.0 which uses ZK
3.4.11. So SOLR 7.5.0 will not work with ZK 3.4.10?

Can someone please confirm this?

Thanks,
Mithun Seal

--
Sent from: https://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html

Re: SOLR / Zookeeper Compatibility

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
8.2 works with 3.5.5 - with a minor glitch in the Admin UI, which does not affect Solr itself