Posted to dev@edgent.apache.org by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com> on 2017/12/05 23:08:54 UTC

[DISCUSS] validating Apache Edgent (Incubating) 1.2.0 RC1

Chris, thanks for moving the release/RC along!

I’ve kicked off this DISCUSS thread because I'm unable to tell if the
staged RC is good to go or not and I didn’t want to pollute the RC1 Vote thread.

Since this is a new process for the project and the nexus / maven release flow
is new to me I’m confused and have to ask some questions before I can assess
if the RC contents are ok.

I, and others, definitely can’t follow the directions in the VOTE's [6]
even reading between the lines and omitting the RM and “binary” parts of it :-)

Here’s where I’m stumbling:

- I’m of the belief that the traditional normally mandated ASF *source* release staging and
  release areas must continued to be used for the release’s aggregate source bundle(s)
      https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/edgent <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/edgent>
      https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/edgent <https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/edgent>

  There isn’t anything staged in the “dev” area for 1.2.0.
  If you look at the “release” area you’ll see what the expected contents/layout are
  (of course omitting the “binaries” dir for 1.2.0).

  FWIW, there seems to be inconsistency among what additional files
  TLPs have - e.g., beam,nifi,camel only have the bundle, kafka includes RELEASE_NOTES,
  flex (which original edgent process derived from) has LICENSE, README, ….
  I guess we can follow the lean-and-mean ones if we want to :-)

  That said, that layout, and form of bundle name, is what the [6] referenced
  download-edgent-asf.sh tool expects so it simply won’t work.
  I’m happy to fix the script, if appropriate, once I understand things.

  Note: I see aggregate source release bundles *are* present in the nexus dir:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheedgent-1002/org/apache/edgent/edgent-parent/1.2.0/ <https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheedgent-1002/org/apache/edgent/edgent-parent/1.2.0/>
  That said, the form of their names (edgent-parent-1.2.0-source-releaase…) isn’t what's expected / required.
  Also note, those names are different from what -Papache-release generates in the target dir
  (apache-edgent-<ver>—incubating-source-release…)

- I’m unclear on what I see staged in nexus will ultimately be released in nexus and mirrored to maven central,
  hence unclear whether the nexus contents are “correct”.

  Is everything present in the nexus’s RC staging repo going to get mirrored to Maven Central
  and if so, is that what’s desired?
  - there are the aforementioned aggregate edgent-parent source bundles (with names different from what's mandated - e.g. “incubating” in them)
  - there are individual component source jars - I can imagine those could be useful for associating src with a component
  - there are individual component test jars - those seem undesired
  - there’s the edgent-test* components - those seem undesired
  - there are edgent-distribution components that have aggregate/transitive “bin” bundles that we’re NOT releasing

Thanks in advance for the clarifications.
— Dale

Re: [DISCUSS] validating Apache Edgent (Incubating) 1.2.0 RC1

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Regarding the pgp issue i guess you have to Import my Key somehow. But i'm No expert on that. My key should be valid judging from the number of Apaches that signed it. Eventually there is no path of trust and you need to import it manually.

The warning is fine - it just means that Chis is not in Dale’s web of trust. I’d assume Dale has not gone to an ASF key signing party.

The important part is that it is a good signature and it’s signed by an apache.org email.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] validating Apache Edgent (Incubating) 1.2.0 RC1

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
It was reported in the general incubator list that the sha files should be named sha1 or sha512 … a quick check of the man page of the sha-tool names 512 as algorithm version. So, I renamed the files to the sha512 dale suggested earlier.

Chris

Am 09.12.17, 22:43 schrieb "Christofer Dutz" <ch...@c-ware.de>:

    Hi Dale,

    the reason for this is that the changelog plugin scans the git commit history to create a changelog.
    The zip however doesn’t contain this history. Therefore, the changelog plugin is failing.

    Regarding the artifacts in Nexus … in maven, if I run “mvn compile” the java classes are compiled and available in the target/classes directory.
    If you run “mvn package” this content is packaged in a jar. If you run “mvn install” this jar is then copied to the maven local repo. If you run “mvn deploy” then this jar is also uploaded to what’s defined in the apache poms (the parent of the Edgent parent):

      <distributionManagement>
        <repository>
          <id>apache.releases.https</id>
          <name>Apache Release Distribution Repository</name>
          <url>https://repository.apache.org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2</url>
        </repository>
        <snapshotRepository>
          <id>apache.snapshots.https</id>
          <name>${distMgmtSnapshotsName}</name>
          <url>${distMgmtSnapshotsUrl}</url>
        </snapshotRepository>
      </distributionManagement>

    The “apache-release” profile additionally ensures the jars are signed and the signature, source, Javadoc and pom are uploaded to nexus.

    So, the jars in Nexus should be equal to the ones in our maven local repo, just with the version 1.2.0 instead of 1.2.0-SNAPSHOT.

    Chris

    Am 09.12.17, 20:39 schrieb "Dale LaBossiere" <dm...@gmail.com>:

        I was able to successfully perform almost all of the validation on the source bundle that I wanted to:
        - basically followed the non-RM, non-binary items in [6]
            downloaded, checked signatures/sums, checked identical tar.gz / zip contents
            verified LICENSE, NOTICE, DISCLAIMER, RELEASE_NOTES, README
            build/tested via README

        I will run the manual kafka tests to verify those look good.

        But there are a couple of things...

        - I wanted to review more detailed test result status from my manual release build/test validation
         (e.g., what was run / what was skipped as noted in [6]) but  “./mvnw clean install site:site site:stage”
         failed, complaining that the source tree wasn’t a git repo.

        - It’s unclear to me if the *exact jar/war bits* staged in nexus have been tested or not.
          I suspect they have been tested, hence there’s nothing missing or broken, but want to verify.  Chris, can you elaborate on that please?
          If they have been tested as part the release process so far, is there a test results and code coverage reports
          that one can review?

        [6] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDGENT/Staged+RC+Validation <https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/EDGENT/Staged+RC+Validation>

        — Dale

Re: [DISCUSS] validating Apache Edgent (Incubating) 1.2.0 RC1

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the clarifications.

Is there any way to disable the changelog stuff - or some way to run the tests with code coverage and get aggregated html reports when building from a source release bundle?

Re Nexus, restating just to be sure I understand:  the release process’s “mvn deploy” (or at least a prior "mvn install”) built and successfully ran the tests on the built jars… and “deploy” uploads those exact jars to nexus.

I filed JIRA EDGENT-440 for the followup work related to our nexus artifacts.

— Dale

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.
Interesting re the sha.  The updates regarding sha naming are pretty recent - last 6months or so.

So, they’re just wrong / not compatible with the real world and/or nexus generated info?
Actually, I suspect it’s OK to just ignore nexus with respect to this - i.e., it has it’s own naming
scheme and this ASF scheme is just for the source release repo.
“sha” is compatible with this directive so we can leave it as.

 http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums <http://www.apache.org/dev/release-distribution#sigs-and-sums>

Thanks
— Dale

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Ok … so I removed all the distribution and the „tests“-modules from the staging repo.

Chris

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi Dale,

Posted by Dale LaBossiere <dm...@gmail.com>.