Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Pin Ngee Koh <ko...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/21 17:40:11 UTC

Dependency and Versioning Best Practice

I have the following dependencies
A-1.0.jar ---> C-3.0.jar
B-2.0.jar ---> C-3.0.jar

Here's some scenarios:
(1) Minor Release - No code/logic change affecting higher level dependency.
C-3.0.jar has a minor code change and released as C-3.1.jar
Question: Inorder not to have to upgrade pom.xml of A and B, should I employ
the practice of range? Meaning using [3.0,4.0) for version of C in
pom.xml of A and B?

(1) Major Release - Code/logic change affecting higher level dependency.
C-3.0.jar has a minor code change and released as C-4.0.jar
Question: I updated pom.xml of A and B and release them as 1.1 and 2.1
respectively. Is this this best practice?

General Question:  Is there best practice around scenarios described above?

\\\\ /
c=-oo
  \  o
Pin Ngee Koh